target disk mode on 17" powerbook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
If anybody can help me with this...

I have a 17" powerbook 1.33Ghz which a also want to use in target disk mode. Now a start up with the "t" key pushed during the boot time, but it always boots up. No firewire symbol. Am i doing something wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Are you sure you press the 't' button immediately after you hear the boot sound? And don't forget, you have to keep on pressing until you see the FireWire logo.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    yep, i did that....but it boots normally
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Do you have a firmware password enabled?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    what's that? And where can i do that?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    The most basic question: are your two computers already plugged in via FireWire? If yes, do you have any problems with the FireWire ports on either the PowerBook or the other computer you're trying to connect with?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    turn everything off

unplug all non-power cables from the PB

hold the T key down

turn the powerbook on

keep the T key down

post results

if it works, great! plug the computers together and you should be in business

if it doesn't... call apple... your computer should be covered and it looks like a firmware problem-which is best left to people who know what they are doing--or at least getting paid to pretend that they know...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

turn everything off

unplug all non-power cables from the PB

hold the T key down

turn the powerbook on

keep the T key down

post results

if it works, great! plug the computers together and you should be in business

if it doesn't... call apple... your computer should be covered and it looks like a firmware problem-which is best left to people who know what they are doing--or at least getting paid to pretend that they know...

Nothing, zilch, no change. It still boots normal.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Do you have a firmware password enabled?

it was...disabled it and now it works. Thx.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Glad I could help - I had this happen to myself one time. I couldn't figure it out, until I remembered the firmware password had been set from an alter ego of me... sometimes we just forget.