Major start up problem. Need help!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have made a major mistake. I was installing a HP printer driver. The instructions said to temporarily remove all programs from the /library/start up items folder. Then restart. When I did, the computer would not restart. Obviously, I should not have removed the Apple programs in start up.

I cannot get into safe mode. I can not archive and reinstall because I have added updates (since I installed from my original CD). I do not want to erase and install and am looking for answers short of this drastic step.

I had moved the programs from the start up items folder into a folder called strt. Is there some way I can move those programs from the strt folder to the library/start up items folder via single-user mode? I can get to the single-user mode, but that is the only one I can use that I know of.

ANY suggestions would be appreicated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Um.. reinstalling the MacOS should not affect any of your document or app files, just give you a clean, working operating system. If your Mac will not boot at all as it is, I think that a clean install is not so "drastic"

You may lose some updates, but that's better that than an expensive anchor on your desk.

BTW, this is a Genius Bar question.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    bmcraigbmcraig Posts: 11member
    Thanks. I will post in the Genius Bar area.

On reinstalling, the only option available to me is "erase and install", which says it will completely erase the destination volume. Will that not erase my files, too?

Brent
  • Reply 3 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I may clarify what you want to do if you think your install is fubar. You don't want to do an 'Erase & Install' instead you're better off with 'Archive & Install'. That way you won't use your files, the only thing that gets changed, well, completely made new, is your system folder.

Btw, do not post this in GB. Wait until a moderator moves this for you.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bmcraigbmcraig Posts: 11member
    It will not allow me to select "archive and install" because I have updated my system since I originally installed with my CD. The only option it gives me is erase and install. :-(

Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

I may clarify what you want to do if you think your install is fubar. You don't want to do an 'Erase & Install' instead you're better off with 'Archive & Install'. That way you won't use your files, the only thing that gets changed, well, completely made new, is your system folder.

Btw, do not post this in GB. Wait until a moderator moves this for you.

• Reply 5 of 5
    For future refrence, you should know that posting a thread across multiple forums is considered very bad etiquitte. If you put a thread in the right place, it will get the attention it needs without spamming everywhere else.

I'm closing this thread and moving the one you make in Mac OS X to Genius Bar.