Using an iPod that can't hold all your music

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a question for people who use an iPod too small to hold all their music. Especially iPod mini users - how do you organize your music so you only carry the stuff you like? Obviosuly, I will decide for myself which songs to keep and which ones to get rid of, but how do you make sure your iPod only keeps your favorite songs? Do you create a playlist that is limited to a certain number of GBs? Personally, I'm not fond of ratings because they take forever to do and my tastes change over time. The reason I ask is I've been trying to sell or trade my current third generation 10 GB iPod for one with mechanical controls. Although I've gotten a few offers to trade, they've basically all fallen through. I thought I could sell my current iPod, and for only a little extra money, I could buy an iPod mini which has mechanical controls. My music library is about 6.6 GB, and the iPod mini can only hold 3.7 GB, so obviously I'd only be able to hold a little over half my collection. Anyway, I was just wondering if other mini owners would be able to share their experiences with me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    rara Posts: 623member
    Basically I just use a lot of smart playlists. I have a 5GB iPod with an 8.25GB music collection.

Some of my playlists are as follows:

• 3-5 star rarely played

• 3-5 star

• 4-5 star

• 5 star

• Acoustic

• Chris Cornell (Soundgarden & Audioslave)

• Classical

• Garage Rock

• Instrumental Metallica

• Live

• Maynard (Tool & A Perfect Circle)

• New Music (added in the last 4 weeks)

• POA Tour 2001 (Slipknot, Mudvayne, Rammstein, System of a Down)

• Pop Sucks Tour 2002 (KoRn, Disturbed, TRUSTCompany)

• Punk

• Top 25 (25 most played)

• Top 100 (100 most played)

I suppose if you don't like ratings you could do things like New Music, Top 100, etc. and have some regular playlists of some collections you like to listen to at once, or you could very easily just do one smart playlist limited to xx GB selected by most played.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I do it manually. I put all my Marillion and Fish albums on then I just kept copying until it was full. Not very complicated.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I've done it a number of different ways. The most automatic is to create a playlist called "iPod list" (or something else) and have that list automatically synced to my iPod. I use that list to manage my iPod's music. It's sort of a mini-library for my 'pod. You can browse just like you would your main library (press cmd+b to get the browser). It's a only decent solution because you can't have playlists within that playlist so you're limited to only that one on your iPod unless you create others with the some of the same songs (so you don't overload your iPod).

You could also do it using smart playlists by tagging all the songs you want on your iPod with "on iPod" in the comments field. You can do a whole slew of them at once this way but you lose all the other comments for those tracks.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I do it manually and I generally just put the albums I'm currently working on and the ones I listen to often.

To me, 3.7 gigs is more than enough to store the amount of music you are listening to at a given time.

Although it might be conveniente to have all your music just there so you can access any of it at any time, how often do you actually do this?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca

I have a question for people who use an iPod too small to hold all their music. Especially iPod mini users - how do you organize your music so you only carry the stuff you like?

I have a 15 GB iPod & 70+ GB of music. I've toyed with the idea of tagging my 'permanent' collection by using the comments field in the song tags. Everything I tag with a 'permanent' goes in a smart playlist that looks for songs tagged with...'permanent'.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

[B]I've done it a number of different ways. The most automatic is to create a playlist called "iPod list" (or something else) and have that list automatically synced to my iPod. I use that list to manage my iPod's music. It's sort of a mini-library for my 'pod.

That's what I did when I had a 10 GB iPod. Don't need to do it now that I have a 40.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    my playlists are like this:

?lite-5 star songs

My Top Rated-4 and 5 star songs

BitTorrent-Stuff i've gotten off of BitTorrent

D/Ls-obvious what this is

Family-Stuff i've gotten from my family

Poisoned-stuff i've gotten from poisoned

Teehee-funny stuff

Vanessa-Stuff I've gotten from vanessa

Zach Jewell-stuff i've gotten from zach J