Airport question...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anybody out there know if the Airport setup is compatible with PC based 802.11 products? I am going to be getting a base station and Airport card, but I have 2 PC's that I would like to network to it as well to share my internet connection, and if my friend brings his laptop over with his 802.11 PCMCIA adapter, he would want on the network as well. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yes.

Airport is the standard 802.11b protocoll...it should work.

as for HOW to do it... Im sure its straightforward enough... set up the basestation and the option to select it should come up on the PCs and the mac... but i dono exactly how this would work.

The 2 PCs you have would ahve to be fitted to either a wired hub that you hooked up to the LAN port on the base station or install PCI 802.11b wireless cards... same deal with your friend's laptop: 802.11b PC card...

hth
  • Reply 2 of 2
    faxthatfaxthat Posts: 64member
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>yes.

Airport is the standard 802.11b protocoll...it should work.

as for HOW to do it... Im sure its straightforward enough... set up the basestation and the option to select it should come up on the PCs and the mac... but i dono exactly how this would work.

The 2 PCs you have would ahve to be fitted to either a wired hub that you hooked up to the LAN port on the base station or install PCI 802.11b wireless cards... same deal with your friend's laptop: 802.11b PC card...

hth</strong><hr></blockquote>

----------------------

It will work. I've talked to folks who do it. Had to do so because I'm using a Cisco Aironet card in my Powerbook to connect to my ABS. Those windows folks were a great help in getting my setup to work. If you use WEP encryption, you must jump through a couple of hoops, but it works.