G5 forgets things when waking from sleep

jbljbl
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My Dual 2GHz G5 is driving me nuts. If I put it to sleep, it forgets various periferals that are attached to it. For example I have a Roland UA-30 which I use to play iTunes music over my stereo, etc. When the computer wakes up, it acts as if the UA-30 is not attached. I have to unplug it and plug it back in, and then select it again in the sound control panel. Interestingly, different perferals have different probabilities of being forgotten. The UA-30 is always forgotten. The keyboard and mouse are never forgotten. The monitor has been forgotten three times in four months (this is similar to the Black Screen of Death problem, but I don't know if it is related). An external FireLite drive gets forgotten about 30% of the time.

Questions: Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions as to how to fix it? The most problematic thing for the computer to forget is the FireLight drive. The interesting thing is that any application that accesses the FireLight (e.g., the Finder) freezes when activated (beach ball of death). No error messages. Because I keep most of my data on the FireLite so that it is portable, this means I lose anything unsaved and am risking corrupting the entire drive. Is there a way to force the machine to mount the drive? Is it better to unplug the drive and plug it back in or should I just do a hard restart?