What is the best contact management app?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What is the best contact management application for hte Mac?

Is there anything other than Entourage's address book or Mac OS X's address book out there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, one option is to make a database in FileMaker Pro and using it to store your contact information. My dad would probably be able to whip one up in about 20 minutes. The good thing about using FileMaker to make it is that you get to customize it to have any fields you want and none that you don't. So if you don't want fields for "Custom 1" through "Custom 8," or if you want to add a special field for "Nickname" or something, you can easily do that yourself in FileMaker.

Main disadvantage is that you'd actually have to buy and then learn FileMaker. That can be an expensive and time-consuming proposition, although I do remember making databases in FileMaker 3 when I was about 12 years old. I'd suggest buying a cheap old copy of FileMaker 3 or 4 somewhere, but those only work in OS 9, so they would be inconvenient.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Will there ever be an upgrade to Address book and Mail?

There are some things I like in Entourage that I wish they had in Address book and Mail.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

What is the best contact management application for hte Mac?

Is there anything other than Entourage's address book or Mac OS X's address book out there?

VersionTracker might help you out.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I use a home made Filemaker recipe.

It's fast, flexible and customizable.

My biggest problem is the lack of a "Sync with Address Book" feature.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    If you mean a proper contacts management program to track sales leads and contact with your customers - try DayLite.

Also, the number of Hot Apps on the MacOS X section of apple.com is really growing - especially the business section.

Enjoy

• Reply 6 of 7
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Daylite looks like a good app, but the learning curve is very steep.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    bdonnbdonn Posts: 28member
    Syncing with my bluetooth phone is the only thing keeping me from switching to something else besides Address Book.

Greatest feature!