iMovie or FCE?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I will be making a film this summer, and I am debating whether to go with iMovie 4 or Final Cut Express 2. From my standpoint right now, I don't think I will need the extra features, as the editing done will be rather simple. (no flashy effects, etc.) If I do go with Final Cut Express 2, how steep is the learning curve? I am pretty familiar with iMovie, but FCE seems rather complicated. Also, how well does iMovie handle a huge video project? (anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    slackulaslackula Posts: 262member
    I would say it depends on exactly what your project entails. Though I own Final Cut Pro 4, I use iMovie almost exclusively. iMovie is actually the software that I use in my side business of creating documentaries of wedding days.

Though iMovie does have some shortcomings, most ordinary folks like myself do not run into them and do not feel the need for the more power and control provided by Final Cut Express or Final Cut Pro.

My wedding clients are always extremely pleased with my work and pay me $800 a pop for the work that I actually do with iMovie and a couple of plug-ins provided by Gee Three Software. Guess my point is: "It's not what you have, but it's what you do with what you've got" that matters most!

• Reply 2 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    FCE hands down. iMovie is only good for shorter things IMO, and FCE has TONS of filters and capabilities that imovie doesnt.

edit: the FCE learning curve isn't too bad.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    macserverxmacserverx Posts: 217member
    I'd say to go with FCE, because you might want it later.

I haven't done anything complicated at all with it since I bought it, but once I get a few bucks to spend on some decent setting, and a couple hundred hours to play with, I'll be making a real video, using tons of Final Cuts effects, and timeline features.

And if you need more than 2 audio tracks, FCE will be simpler.

The learning curve isn't that great. You can do iMovie style (cut place) editing just as fast as in iMovie, and then learn as time allows, if you can devote time upfront.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

FCE hands down. iMovie is only good for shorter things IMO, and FCE has TONS of filters and capabilities that imovie doesnt.

edit: the FCE learning curve isn't too bad.

Although FCE has more of an initial intimidation factor than iMovie, it's more consistent (and customizable) in the long run, especially when you're dealing with multiple DV shoots.

My favorite feature, hands down: click and drag a tab out of the Viewer or any other window, and it becomes its own window. Then, when you close that window, the tab appears again. Not to mention that you can drag tabs from window to window, and organize them as you please.

Everything is so customizable, yet not intimidating. You can use the out-of-teh-box layout just fine, but soon you'll be dragging tabs all around. 8)

Not to mention the fact that the RT Extreme effects kick ass.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slackula

[snip]

Just a quick question, I know it's OT...but why would you run iMovie more than FCP 4? You spent all that money on FCP (right???) put it to use! It's an amazing program, if you really don't want it, send it over here and I'll put it to good use. Use FCP, it's a billion times better than iMovie.

That said, go with FCE, you'll never regret having the extra power to work with. iMovie is great, but if you're looking to do a longer project (which, for the record, iMovie will handle) FCE will be your best bet. Spend a few extra bucks for it, you won't regret it.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Just a quick question, I know it's OT...but why would you run iMovie more than FCP 4? You spent all that money on FCP (right???) put it to use! It's an amazing program, if you really don't want it, send it over here and I'll put it to good use. Use FCP, it's a billion times better than iMovie.

That said, go with FCE, you'll never regret having the extra power to work with. iMovie is great, but if you're looking to do a longer project (which, for the record, iMovie will handle) FCE will be your best bet. Spend a few extra bucks for it, you won't regret it.

I'm a creature of habit. Learned iMovie first, so have tended to stick with it.

Yes, I did buy FCP and did not pirate it. We actually got it at a significant discount as my wife is a teacher. So if I were to use it in the future to earn money, technically I would need to pay Apple the difference in price.

We had bought it early on thinking we would need the power for some of her school projects, but iMovie was enough for us.

I kept trying different books to help me learn the program, but none seemed to help. Finally found a good one, but now just can't seem to find the time to work through it!

Just wanted to clarify as I felt as though I was getting vibes that you were thinking I may have a bootlegged copy of FCP. No hard feelings, you probably didn't mean it that way anyway! (And I do enjoy reading your posts here at AI!)

Thanks for the "kick in the shorts" to get to learning FCP. I know I need to do it, just need to get off my butt and make myself learn it.

• Reply 7 of 11
    This is off-topic, but are there any filters available for iMovie or FCP/FCE I can use to get my footage to look like the footage in cinemas? I'm referring to the process that adds grain/noise to my movie to increase the perceived visual quality of my footage.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Gee Three has a "Film Look" effect in its "Slick 5" effects CD. My computer is at home and I am at the office right now, so I can't quick try it and tell you if its any good or not.

You can find more information on it at http://www.geethree.com

Click on the Slick products, then on Slick 5, then on the left side of your screen select "Film Look" from the list of effects.

Hope this helps a little.

• Reply 9 of 11
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. John Zoidberg

This is off-topic, but are there any filters available for iMovie or FCP/FCE I can use to get my footage to look like the footage in cinemas? I'm referring to the process that adds grain/noise to my movie to increase the perceived visual quality of my footage.

[posted by Placebo]

Yes. I believe that there's one that's included with FCE, and quite a few for FCE and iMovie.

(I assume you mean true film grain, not the "aged film" effect that turns everything sepia and adds scratches?)
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Yes, true film quality, not the aged/old look.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. John Zoidberg

Yes, true film quality, not the aged/old look.

Macworld recently reviewed a stand-alone application dedicated to that task. Search for it on macworld.com, I forget what it's called.