Best PCI graphics card

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What's the best PCI graphics card? My brother wanted to get a GeForce 4 Ti for his B&W G3 (upgraded to G4/450), but I told him it's AGP and he has to use a PCI card.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    There is pretty much little more to be had using the PCI bus. Anything over a Rage 128 will be absolutely crippled on a PCI slot and really needs AGP. The fastest PCI card I believe would be a Radeon 7000 (very, very slow by today's standards).

Tell your brother he needs a new computer.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The fastest PCI card is the original Radeon PCI, if you can find one...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    woozlewoozle Posts: 64member
    Voodoo 5 5500 ( PCI Mac version is available ).

GeForce 2MX PCI, dont know about availability of a Mac version, but if you have access to a PC you can try to 'flash' with the Mac software.

The geforce will be much easier to get, and cheaper.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    rambo47rambo47 Posts: 91member
    The Voodoo 5500 PCI is indeed an awesome card, especailly for gaming. Unfortunately you can't use it with OS X. At all. Period. A Mac with a Voodoo card will not even boot into OS X. I bought mine about a month before 3DFX went bust. Bastards. May they rot in hell (or the unemployment line).

If you only want to run Mac OS9, look around for a Voodoo 5500. They're cheap and plentiful with lots of bitter owners (like me) wondering what to do with it. Too expensive to throw away, too good in OS9 to completely forget about, and totally useless for the future of Macintosh computing.