Bill Gates, Ingvar Kamprad OWNS you!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
IKEA founder 'richer than Gates'

"STOCKHOLM, Sweden -- Ingvar Kamprad, the Swedish businessman who founded furniture retailer IKEA, has overtaken Microsoft's Bill Gates as the world's richest man, according to Swedish business weekly Veckans Affarer.

In its April 5 edition covering Sweden's richest 100 people, the magazine says Kamprad, 77, has a personal fortune of 400 billion crowns ($53 billion).

That is substantially above the $46.6 billion allocated to Gates by U.S. magazine Forbes in its latest list of the world's richest people, published in late February."

Damn, ironic. I worked for IKEA ('80's-90's in their first store in the US) and even met Ingvar. Weird dude. When he visited the store he could have stayed in the poshest hotels but instead stayed at the ghetto George Washington Inn. He drives an old Volvo...also, I'm pretty sure that IKEA is still private stock wise...

Good to see Gates nudged down for a bit too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Read this earlier...makes me sad really. He is over 5 billion dollars richer then bill gates, but still insists on living like he is on $80,000/year salary. We know how he got rich, but the problem with him is that he doesn't know when to start spending. You should be able to enjoy yourself, not worried about how much something will cost because you want to save more money. Yeah sure it's nice to save, but at 77, you should be spending.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I like IKEA much more than Microsoft so this was cool news to me.

I'll take one of their bitchin' lamps, desks or CD racks ANY DAY over any of Microsoft's offerings.

The Tustin, CA (Orange County) IKEA at 11:00am on a Saturday...Soccer Mom Vixen Central.

• Reply 3 of 13
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I like IKEA much more than Microsoft so this was cool news to me.

I'll take one of their bitchin' lamps, desks or CD racks ANY DAY over any of Microsoft's offerings.

The Tustin, CA (Orange County) IKEA at 11:00am on a Saturday...Soccer Mom Vixen Central.

Right on. I have very good memories in the beginning (I started with the build up crew before it opened) and there were many sweet Swedish, British, French, German and american lasses I played - er - worked with then. But sadly, it became more americanized when management switched to the ass-kissing US natives.

Remember they also had hollow iMacs in their computer showroom. Whoa. Ikea buys Apple...or hell, buy out Microsoft...at least it'll be more "functional".

I better get to sleep...

• Reply 4 of 13
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    I think the Tustin store closed because of the store that opened this summer in Costa Mesa. Even better! I also noticed all the computers were HP, I'm pretty sure, anyway. Defiantly not Macs, because I was thinking, man, all this furniture would look so much better with all apple products, not plastic PC towers and boring black 15" flatscreens. Anyway...

_thedustin
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Maybe bill is starting furniture business soon...

...could be really dangerous, furnitures may crash...

...but of course, there will be service packs...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Does this mean I have to hate IKEA as much as I hate Microsoft? Oh, wait, I already do.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thedustin I think the Tustin store closed because of the store that opened this summer in Costa Mesa.

Ooh, I didn't know that! Really? Wow. That was kinda one of the "anchors" at Tustin Marketplace...right beside the 5 and really visible!

But yes, Costa Mesa...

Probably not too shabby either!

There doesn't seem to be an IKEA here in the South, which bums me to no end. I would think Atlanta, of all places, would have one! They should. Atlanta is pretty much L.A., with cuter accents and a better baseball team.

• Reply 8 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Ikea has a genius idea, with his kits.

I don't care if he spend his money or not. If i was him, sure i spent all my money : but it's just me and i will never be a billionaire. My goal in life is not to stockpile money, but to enjoy it.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Emailed the article to a friend who works at Ikea...got this response...

"Yeah! I heard about this today. The cheap bastard! Now we have to pay into our own health insurance plans now. Talk about being frugal."

Yep, have wonderful early memories from there, but thank god I don't now. Still like their shit though.

• Reply 10 of 13
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Yup. I just procured a new kitchen from IKEA, and you simply can't beat the good value of their products. I love their modernist designs for people with down-to-earth budgets.

Quote:

Totally agree, pscates. But I prefer weekdays, when the vixens' husbands are at work. When I went to IKEA to pick up a few missing parts for my new kitchen a few weeks ago, I had to control myself not to hit the emergency stop button between floors when I shared the elevator with one of the vixens.

To boot, IKEA opened its third (!) store in the Baltimore-Washington area last fall, right across the highway from "my" Home Depot. Now the drive to IKEA is even shorter. Yay IKEA!

Escher
  • Reply 11 of 13
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Man I wish I was swedish... a name like that would be so cool to have.

"hi i'm bill.. bill gates.." "i'm ingvar! the overlord reboot your computer bi@tch, I have more money than you."
  • Reply 12 of 13
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Read this earlier...makes me sad really. He is over 5 billion dollars richer then bill gates, but still insists on living like he is on $80,000/year salary. We know how he got rich, but the problem with him is that he doesn't know when to start spending.

He is not extravagant with his spending, because he's trying to stay in touch with his main clientel. The founder of Walmart was the exact same way. Rich people - who have alot of cash- are usually not big spenders - it is those who never become rich who are the big spenders. Gates is known to clip coupons and get cheap haircuts.

The Ikea founder owns a vinyard, which he says is a hobby which he allows himself to spend a sick amount of money.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    lol, so I have something in common with Ingvar Kamprad and Jeff Bezos, we all drive Volvos. Heck ya, Swedepower!