BitchX

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
As a new community member to AppleInsider, I'd love to become involved and meet the members. As such I was looking for a good IRC client for the Mac and came across BitchX, talk about confusing! I'm familiar with Trillian and such having used the PC as my main source of communication but making a 100% conversion to the Mac is posing problems with my technical knowledge. I'd love to learn how to compile stuff so I can run open source software and support the movement, but as a video editor and budding sound engineer, I have no knowledge of the Terminal interface. If anyone knows of a site or perhaps you yourself have knowledge of how to compile BitchX to run in Terminal it would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    download Fink . besure you have the developer tools installed and X11 if you plan to us it with fink before you install it. And make sure you read the whole page on fink that tells you how to install it, or you might have problems, anyway just click on the download link on the fink page.

There are two ways to install programmes in fink, one is by the fink commander GUI and the other is by the terminal. If you run it in the terminal all you do is type :- fink install bitchx and it will do the rest.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Huh boy. People recommend the most confusing stuff. You can choose to download some source code, compile it, and learn all the commands to run it in Terminal, or you can get a much easier application.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10047

That one is called iRC. It's really really easy to use.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Okay, here's the scoop:

1)Downloaded and installed Fink

2)Upgraded Fink

3)Downloaded BitchX (via fink install BitchX, what an awesome thing! Just type it in and it downloads it for you, haha)

4)Got BitchX running in Terminal

Here's my dilemma, BitchX has additional stuff that Terminal doesn't provide, I'm just wondering if I need to run BitchX in X11 and if so how do I go about doing that? I went into X11 and added the App with the command sw/bin/bitchx but the command does nothing when I type it in. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Good news, I got it to work in Terminal! A friend told me all I had to do was type "bitchx <server addy>" and it would connect me, very cool! Only problem is, no one was in the room!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Just get Snak. Why would anyone recommend to you a terminal IRC client that needs to be compiled if you're just getting used to the Mac, I'll never understand.

BTW, if you're looking for Appleinsider members to chat with, you're better off getting on iChat.