Dell Getting Desperate

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<-- He is the link.

So will this work, do they have a chance, or is it too late to make inroads to compete with the iPod? I think this is proof that it can't compete at even when for you get more space for a smaller price.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Dell wont sell those like Apple sells iPods regardless of price. Doesnt work the same way, wont sell the same way.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    If Apple is still offering iPods with 8 hours battery life come next rev, then I think they will lose a lot of sales to dell. Even the the DJ has 2 batteries, those batteries still manage to get a helluva lot more life than the iPod. Whenever anyone comes to me asking if I like my iPod, There first concern is "how's the battery life?"

to which I tell them the truth "It stinks"

Unfortunately, there isn't much apple can do, they are at the mercy of battery manufacturers, and of chemistry, and physics. But they managed to go from 10-12, to 6-8 in their 2g and now 3g and mini releases. which just stinks.

The thing is, sure apple has a great lead, but this market is young, and there are only 2 Million iPods out there, compared to what 400 million? walkmans

The problem I think, is that apple is paving the road for techno-lust, they are making people want mp3 players, specifically the iPod, but the iPod is out of a lot of people's reach, or, if they can afford it, it has its problems too.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    when do you listen to music for more than 8 hours, and not have access to something to charge it with?

i guess i must be using my differently, i haven't had problems with the battery life at all. if i listen to music for more than an hour or two at a time that's rare. for me i can go over a week on a single charge. seeing as how easy they are to recharge, i never have a problem.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

when do you listen to music for more than 8 hours, and not have access to something to charge it with?

i guess i must be using my differently, i haven't had problems with the battery life at all. if i listen to music for more than an hour or two at a time that's rare. for me i can go over a week on a single charge. seeing as how easy they are to recharge, i never have a problem.

Plane rides, I may be an exception, but, I do manage to use, well, I try to at least, it usually runs out of power before I reach LAX, my iPod for 7-8 hours going from boston to california. Which I do quite often. (this includes downtime before flights, walking to the train station in boston, and the hour long van ride to home from LAX)

but, the way I see it. Battery life is becoming a marketing FUD term like Mhz.

First it was HD space, but then once everyone topped out having about the same amount at roughly the same sizes, it's become battery life. It doesn't matter if you're never going to need to have your iPod playing 16 hours, people still buy into that crap, that they will need it.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I never run out of battery life unless I forget to charge it over a day or two. I think your just too lazy to charge it at night. I also think that I get more then 8 hours of battery life.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    The prices are being cut on most of the rival MP3 players, the Samsung 20gb model is down to $299. They may be a point in the future where ipod prices will need to decrease as well, when the music players become more entrenched like walkmen. Right now it is still at PDA status..nifty gadget, must-have for some users, but the majority could care less.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

The prices are being cut on most of the rival MP3 players, the Samsung 20gb model is down to $299. They may be a point in the future where ipod prices will need to decrease as well, when the music players become more entrenched like walkmen. Right now it is still at PDA status..nifty gadget, must-have for some users, but the majority could care less.

yeah, but that will change, and when it does the iPod will need to come down in price.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

yeah, but that will change, and when it does the iPod will need to come down in price.

Agreed.