How do Halo, MOHAA, and AvP2 play on your laptop?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
OK, title says it all. Halo, Medal Of Honor and Aliens vs. Predator 2. How does your laptop handle these games?

How much tweaking of settings per given laptop/graphics card combo?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    HELLO, Hello, hello...
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Oh, also wondering how Soldier of Fortune 2 runs.

Anyone THERE, There, there...
  • Reply 3 of 18
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Halo is a little choppy, but defineitly playable. Don't have the others.

15inch Powerbook 1.25Ghz, 768Ram
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Bless you buckeye.

Are you having to drop down the settings? Gimme some details please...
  • Reply 5 of 18
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    was playing halo just fine on my 1.25GHz, 1Gig RAM.

My settings were generally 640x..., pixel shaders on, generally one quality setting less than "best" on all the settings. Dumped to a CRT monitor.

Definitely playable and fun, maybe some stuttering sometimes, but if there was, I never noticed.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    shagstlmshagstlm Posts: 112member
    i have mohaa...it plays fine on my tibook 1ghz, 1gb ram on the highest settings with 800x600....i really wish they would support the wide aspect ratio of the laptop in other resolutions then the lowest...anyway...its good...but if you dont have it try (i like unreal 2003...eventhough 2004 is comming out soon) another possibly i beat it in like 2 days...but its still a lot of fun! if you have a decently fast pb you shouldn't have to worry too much...if it gets choppy i just lower the settings one notch
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Thanks guys, all three of you, for your responses.

I find it hard to believe that so few Mac PB owners enjoy a few good FPS's now and then. Hm, interesting...
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Thanks guys, all three of you, for your responses.

I find it hard to believe that so few Mac PB owners enjoy a few good FPS's now and then. Hm, interesting...

I play FPS, but not on my PB. Mainly b/c my buddies from work all play on their wintel machines and I can't play cross platform with the games we play. It would be excellent if we could though. \
  • Reply 9 of 18
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

was playing halo just fine on my 1.25GHz, 1Gig RAM.

My settings were generally 640x..., pixel shaders on, generally one quality setting less than "best" on all the settings. Dumped to a CRT monitor.

Definitely playable and fun, maybe some stuttering sometimes, but if there was, I never noticed.

This is consistent with my experience. I have SOF2 on a dual 533Mhz desktop and it plays great, but I haven't installed it on my laptop.

I am looking forward to republic: The revolution when that comes out, but I don't know if it will play well.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I would like to get away from desktops alltogether. However, I do enjoy online gaming mayhem.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    i play unreal and mohaa online wirelessly all the time...they work great too!
  • Reply 12 of 18
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I have a 12" PowerBook, rev. A. It'll play Quake 3 (and games based on it) OK, but even UT 2003 is near unplayable, nevermind 2004 (640MB RAM), so I tend to play FPSs on my PC.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    I just installed Halo on my PB (1 Ghz TiBook, 1 GB RAM, 7200 RPM HD, 10.3.3) With settings at medium and res at 800x600, it runs, but a bit sluggish. Especially when there is a lot going on. I'm not even thinking about going multiplayer, it would just depress me.

I ran the UT 2004 demo as well, and it ran ok in DM and CTF, but ran like crap in Assualt and Onslaught. This is playing just on my machine with bots. Multiplayer made it slower. Usually boot up the Pc for this one.

I hear that there is some bug in the UT2004 Mac demo and a patch should fix things. Halo is just poorly written (what the hell happened to Bungie?), even for PC. Haven't tried AvP2 or MOHAA yet.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Microsoft bought them trowa...

It requires a pretty strong PC plus high powered graphics card to run it at or near high settings. Considering how old the game is now, the Mac gear it was originally going to run on, one would think all the little performance bugs were quashed by now. Someone really dropped the ball on this game. I still enjoy it.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    multi player should be faster..if you have a good internet connection...because your computer only has to worry about what you are doing and doesn't have to genereate commands for the other bots...the server does that for you. but if the game is poorly written which it sounds like then it'll suck wherever
  • Reply 16 of 18
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I have a Powerbook 12er Rev. B. It plays MOHA with everthing turned on high at 1024x768 just fine, same with Soldier of Fortune and Quake 3 (Same engine). Halo is choppy at any resolution but playable at 800x600 with medium settings and vsync off. Splintercell is very playable at 800x600 with high settings and Blood Rayne sucks on my machine, to bad too it looks like a cool game.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    I didn't even know that Blood Rayne was available on the Mac. Beautiful vampyre babe sucking the blood out of Nazis, cool...
  • Reply 18 of 18
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Multiplayer Halo runs far better than single player Halo on the same machine. It is just 'built' better. Plus there isn't an AI clogging up CPU time.