Taiko Drumming ROCKS!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I went to see a performance of the Tagagawa University Taiko Drumming and Dancing tonight @ the International House in Philly tonight. What an awesome and entertaining group of students these are. The dancers and dances were beautiful, amazing and even comical.

But the drumming...man, these guys and gals ROCK. This is a group ranked in the top 15 professional taiko drummers in Japan. The group performs traditional taiko pieces and original compositions by group members.

Taiko drums range in size from a small snare drum size to free standing wider drums. One single bass drum had to be over 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet in depth. That one alone had a bass that would wake John Bonham from the dead. Amazing rhythms and sounds. Just awesome...here are some pics I got from the web.

They'll be at the University of the Arts here in Philly tomorrow 9/7/04 7:00 PM (free too) and anyone else should check and see if they'll be around in your area (they travel world wide)...don't miss them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    my wife and i went to this groups performance at Popejoy here in new mexico:

it was quite a nice time...highly recommended

g

linkage

had lots of dancers along with the 4 drummers, but they trained the dancers to drum also and they were quite good
  • Reply 2 of 2
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

my wife and i went to this groups performance at Popejoy here in new mexico:

it was quite a nice time...highly recommended

g

linkage

had lots of dancers along with the 4 drummers, but they trained the dancers to drum also and they were quite good

They seem to be the same Taiko style. Altogether the dancers and drummers totaled to 40! The girls performed on drums and these castanet-like instruments. They were just so happy to perform and give us an enjoyable time. After the show when we all exited the theatre they were all lined up on both sides smiling, bowing and thanking us ("arigato!") for attending.

Don't see that after a Marilyn Manson show...

I'm going to see them again tonight. One deserves to get away from the computer (& the world's mess) and enjoy other diversities...true?