Largest hdd in an iMac DV SE 400MHz?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
What is the largest drive you can put into this machine? I know some older machines could only address like 128GB of a 250GB drive.... does this unit have that limitation as well?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yeah, it almost certainly does. The first PowerMacs that could accept drives larger than 120 GB and see the entire thing were the Quicksilver 2002 ones. Now, I know that the iMacs and eMacs of the past year can take big ol' hard drives because they are available BTO with a 160 GB hard drive. I wouldn't expect any sub-GHz iMac to be able to take more than a 120 GB hard drive.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    LoCash, do you happen to have the original 13GB drive that came with the iMac? If so, and it is working I will but it from you.

_thedustin
  • Reply 3 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I've got a 120 in my family's 400 mhz. Don't know if that helps.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Yeah, ok, I'll probably take the two 120GB drives in my tower and drop them into this iMac then. I came into this machine on Friday, person said he thought the PMU was bad. As soon as I put some RAM in it and have some spare time to gut it and place it into this Marathon 1U enclosure.... I'll let you know about the 13GB drive, 'cause I won't be keeping that one
  • Reply 5 of 5
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    Thanks!