This should be an SNL skit!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.post-gazette.com/breaking...407bunnyp4.asp

Easter Bunny whipped at church show; some families upset

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Associated Press

A church trying to teach about the crucifixion of Jesus performed an Easter show with actors whipping the Easter bunny and breaking eggs, upsetting several parents and young children.

People who attended Saturday?s performance at Glassport?s memorial stadium quoted performers as saying, ?There is no Easter bunny,? and described the show as being a demonstration of how Jesus was crucified.

Melissa Salzmann, who took her 4-year-old son J.T., said the program was inappropriate for young children. ?He was crying and asking me why the bunny was being whipped,? Salzmann said.

Patty Bickerton, the youth minister at Glassport Assembly of God, said the performance wasn?t meant to be offensive. Bickerton portrayed the Easter rabbit and said she tried to act with a tone of irreverence.

?The program was for all ages, not just the kids. We wanted to convey that Easter is not just about the Easter Bunny, it is about Jesus Christ,? Bickerton said.

Performers broke eggs meant for an Easter egg hunt and also portrayed a drunken man and a self-mutilating woman, said Jennifer Norelli-Burke, another parent who saw the show in Glassport, southeast of Pittsburgh.

?It was very disturbing,? Norelli-Burke said. ?I could not believe what I saw. It wasn?t anything I was expecting.?

The Passion of the Easter Bunny. Real bright. Scare the hell out of kids so they love Jesus! The Easter Bunny is a false prophet! Crucify him! On chocolate timbers with marshmallow nails.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    After the Vivisection of Santa Claus Christmas Show caused so much fuss, you'd think that they'd have learned their lesson.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

The Passion of the Easter Bunny. Real bright. Scare the hell out of kids so they love Jesus! The Easter Bunny is a false prophet! Crucify him! On chocolate timbers with marshmallow nails.

Yeah and if PETA did it, it'd the best thing since sliced tofu.

The Cow Pope. Real bright. Piss people off, insult their religious beliefs so they love animals! The Cow Pope is just another form of Piss Christ and it will do nothing but further entrench those that disagree with PETA.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    oh. ok. it's not funny at all... it teaches toddlers and preschoolers an important lesson. what? I don't know.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I'm sure Kids in the Hall could do a good send up of this. Too bad it's not on.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

The Cow Pope. Real bright. Piss people off, insult their religious beliefs so they love animals! The Cow Pope is just another form of Piss Christ and it will do nothing but further entrench those that disagree with PETA.

Am I missing something?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    I have no idea. Cow Pope? wtf?
  • Reply 7 of 24
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

People who attended Saturday?s performance at Glassport?s memorial stadium quoted performers as saying, ?There is no Easter bunny,? and described the show as being a demonstration of how Jesus was crucified.

mocking faith in an imaginary being with reputed power to spread joy and peace

Holy Hypocrisy Ironyman!
  • Reply 8 of 24
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

mocking faith in an imaginary being with reputed power to spread joy and peace

hey! the easter bunny is real!
  • Reply 9 of 24
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Am I missing something?

• Reply 10 of 24
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

After the Vivisection of Santa Claus Christmas Show caused so much fuss, you'd think that they'd have learned their lesson.

LOL!
  • Reply 11 of 24
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

John, maybe you should take a break dude. I think you're losing it.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Pope Cow vs. The Passion Easter Bunny...

which one wins in a fight?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I told my daughter this year that christmas celebrates the birth of Santa. Maybe my wife will catch me doing it next year and stop me.

• Reply 15 of 24
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I told my daughter this year that christmas celebrates the birth of Santa. Maybe my wife will catch me doing it next year and stop me.

Only WE call him 'annual gift man' and he lives on the moon. 8)
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

John, maybe you should take a break dude. I think you're losing it.

What is so difficult to understand in my original post?

People doing outrageous or shocking things to religious/cultural symbols in an attempt teach, enlighten or persuade other people is not the best tactic since it tends to offend the same people they are trying to influence.

Easy enough for you? That is not an inherently pro or anti statement for or against any specific cause.

Did you not know about PETA's Cow Pope? I was alluding to it because of youth minister Patty Bickerton's failed attempt to prove her point is as ineffectual as PETA's Cow Pope campaign. if you want to shock for shock's sake, that's great, I'm all for it. All I'm saying is that in doing so don't expect to gain many converts to your cause. Any cause.

Hello, is this sinking in now?

I'm not religious or offended, I think the original post is funny. Cow Pope itself is a piece of art to me. I disagree wholeheartedly with PETA's usual tactics however.

Regardless of how I feel the tactic is still a poor one, for any cause.

You folks have a real hard time with stuff like this, comparisons, etc, don't you?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Yes, but with PETA you know what you are in for. You don't ecpect to go to the Easter pageant and expect to see drunken men, self-mutilating women and bunny-bashing.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

oh. ok. it's not funny at all... it teaches toddlers and preschoolers an important lesson. what? I don't know.

It is funny. I laughed.

Sorry if the lack of of LOL LOLs confused you.

It can be funny and be a bad idea (i.e. having the opposite effect she intended) all at the same time.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by tmp

Yes, but with PETA you know what you are in for. You don't ecpect to go to the Easter pageant and expect to see drunken men, self-mutilating women and bunny-bashing.

We completely agree on that
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Am I missing something?

If you didn't know about Cow Pope or Piss Christ, I apologize. I should have given links.

Otherwise, this is what I meant:

Tactic: shock/offend a group, hopefully gaining support as an outcome

Piss Christ

Shock and Awe

Cow Pope

Passion of the Easter Bunny

Hell, throw in "Shock and Awe" if you want, lest you think I am being partisan.

All typically had the opposite effect - they merely cause the other side to become entrenched further in their beliefs and even less willing to listen to the original point or cause.

It does however make headlines, and sadly, maybe that's all anyone ever wants.