iBook gone crazy

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi folks,

I've got a pretty strange problem with my iBook. From time to time, it won't let me switch it on.

Remove the battery, disconnect it from the power plug... wait a few minutes... and it works. After that the system clock is set back to zero (i.e. the beginning of UNIX-Time, 1.1.1970).

Does anyone here have an idea what might cause these problems?

Greetings,

durandal

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    It sounds like the internal battery has gone bad (the little one that sits on the motherboard). Typically, the first symptoms of that are when the system clock loses its time as you mentioned.

I'm not sure if this is a user-replaceable part in the notebooks or not. Hopefully someone else can chime in with the specifics.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

It sounds like the internal battery has gone bad (the little one that sits on the motherboard). Typically, the first symptoms of that are when the system clock loses its time as you mentioned.

I'm not sure if this is a user-replaceable part in the notebooks or not. Hopefully someone else can chime in with the specifics.

Yup, the PRAM battery was my No. 1 suspect as well. I think I remember reading somewhere that, in rare cases, an empty battery might even prevent a Mac from booting. Anyway, since the incident I described in my initial post my iBook seems to be up and running without any further hickups

Thanks for your reply,

durandal
  • Reply 3 of 3
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    my ibook g4 wouldn't wake up after sleep called applecare they said i had to reset the pmu power management unit\\

i believe they had me hold down all at once the shift command control and the power button==4 buttons all at once was tough== for 10 secs then try the power button it worked