Problem Converting FileMaker Pro 3 Files to FileMaker Pro 7

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I finally got around to upgrading from OS 9 FileMaker 3.0 to OS X FileMaker Pro 7 and have run in to a conversion problem that has me stumped. Basically it?s that text in any field longer than one line looses word wrap going from 3 to 7?when words reach the end of the line they are broken up, even if means leaving just one letter on the line and the remainder of the word resumes on the next line. The FileMaker Pro 7 conversion file doesn?t show that there was an error in the process. I can?t find anything in the FileMaker Help file that offers a clue.

I?ve tried all the obvious things: changing formatting in both layout and browse mode, changing fonts, changing the size of the affected fields, checking the formatting in the original FM 3 file, all to no avail. What?s interesting is I can copy the text in the field that has lost word wrap and paste it into a new FM 7 file or a Word or TeachText document and word wrap is back.

Anybody have any suggestions? Otherwise I guess a call to Claris is the next step.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    You skipped all the way from version 3 to version 7 and this is the only conversion error you had? That's jumping ahead at least 2 complete rewrites of the file format! Consider yourself lucky. I would have tried to use an intermediary version, either 4, 5, or 6, and made it a two-step process.

What is the copyright date on your version of 3.0?

Quote:

Otherwise I guess a call to Claris is the next step.

Claris????? Wow, you ARE still living in the 1990s. 1998 to be exact...

Eh, sorry if it sounds like I'm poking fun. Just enjoy the fact that you've been very productive for years and years using what is now 9-year-old software.