Question about apartments/leases...help...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I recieved my new lease this week and with the increase in rent I knew I couldn't stay another year. Luckily, I was looking around for a new apartment and found a cheaper (and smaller) apartment pretty quick. I'll be moving in next week. The new place is right down the street...talk about lucky.

Well, I'm a noob as far as non-renewing a lease. They told me to just send a letter stating that I will not be renewing my lease. I'm kind of stumped as to how this letter of non-renewal should be written. If anyone here has done this before, could you give me a basic sense of what should be in this letter and how it should be worded? Much appreciated.

Damn, I'm going to miss my "Artshack". Been here for four years and have a lot of great memories. But the rent was (has been) out of my limit for too long and I needed a change. I'll be running around like crazy this next week packing, cleaning and unpacking...

thanks again...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    I would think that you would just word it this way:

Quote:

This letter is to inform you that I (name) have chosen not to renew the lease at (address). I will be vacating the unit at the end of the lease term (date). <optional>My security deposit can be sent to (other address-I'd rent a PO box).

you may also include, if you paid last month's rent in advance:

Quote:

This notice of termination serves as in-lieu payment of last month rent

If you rented originally at $X amount and the last month's rent was $X+ $50, then include a check in the amount of $50 with the memo "Balance of last month's rent per lease agreement", and mention that in the letter.

Also, check out the regs where you live as far as what they can charge you against your security deposit. In a lot of areas there are very strict rules about that. You've been in that apartment long enough that in my area they could not charge to for repainting or carpeting.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tmp

[B]I would think that you would just word it this way:

[b]

you may also include, if you paid last month's rent in advance:

If you rented originally at $X amount and the last month's rent was $X+ $50, then include a check in the amount of $50 with the memo "Balance of last month's rent per lease agreement", and mention that in the letter.

Also, check out the regs where you live as far as what they can charge you against your security deposit. In a lot of areas there are very strict rules about that. You've been in that apartment long enough that in my area they could not charge to for repainting or carpeting.

Thanks tmp I'll probably use your wording.

I just discussed things with my current landlord and he did remind me of this months rent (the current lease doesn't end until May 1st). I was able to have him use my security to pay for that (and I'll pay any difference). Most landlords won't do this but he understood the situation. I'm shelling out money for the new apartment rent and it's security deposit...I would be nearly broke if I had to pay this month's rent out of my pocket.

I have no worries about any painting or repair work. I've kept the old place in pretty good shape.

I'll have the keys to the new place hopefully the 15th. Then start moving in then. Friends are going to help. I should be out of this place by next weekend...it'll be crazy but...must get boxes at work...agh.

Thanks again.

• Reply 3 of 5
    Try hitting a few bookstores for boxes. They usually have an excess, and the boxes are really good, tough ones (since they have to hold heavy books)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tmp

Try hitting a few bookstores for boxes. They usually have an excess, and the boxes are really good, tough ones (since they have to hold heavy books)

No problem there...I work at a bookstore...

• Reply 5 of 5
    Now I understand why you can't pay your rent....

I used to be the buyer for a high-end (meaning that I had to wear a suit, but they still paid crap) bookstore in my neighborhood, and it I hadn't been moonlighting and have rent control, I'da been living in my car.

I loved being around books, but I had to move on if I wanted to pay my Visa bill.