How do I restore my iTunes settings?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently switched computers. I backed up my entire home directory from the old computer. On the new computer I've restored everything (including all my song files), but iTunes was empty when I opened it for the first time. I had iTunes add all the songs to the library, but now all my playlists and "star" ratings are gone. What file(s) stores this information? I haven't added any new songs yet, so hopefully I can just overwrite the file with the one that I have on the backup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    There is one file which I think need to be restored. On your old home directory, browse to ~/Music/iTunes/. In there, you'll find a file called 'iTunes 4 Music Library' (I have iTunes 4, you may have a different one). Now, quit iTunes on your new computer, and replace this file on your new computer with the one from the old. Then start iTunes again, and you should see all your songs again.

If you don't, do the same thing with another file called 'com.apple.itunes.plist' found in ~/Library/Preferences/. These are the preferences for iTunes. Also note that iTunes should be quit before.

Hope this helps,
  • Reply 2 of 3
    gh0zttgh0ztt Posts: 42member
    Worked like a charm. I only had to copy the file that's in the iTunes folder. I guess you have to start iTunes at least once before copying this file, since it looks like the originally restored file had been overwritten on the initial load of iTunes. Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Glad I could help.