Webcam Question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I need to buy a simple 2.0-3.1 Megapixel USB still digital camera (Fuji, HP, etc). Easy right?

The tricky part:

I need a camera that will also work as a USB webcam (for iChat, Yahoo, etc). It must work with OS X. Quality doesn't have to be great.

I have owned Fuji cameras in the past (like the A101) that promise webcam abilities on the box, but only to find out later that it doesn't work with Macs (Windows only). Not sure why...

I can't seem to find ANY USB consumer still digital cameras that can be used as inline "live" web cams too (on the Mac). Not Fuji, Not Olympus, not Nikon, etc. Why is this?

I also can't seem to find a generic USB driver to "turn a digital cam into a web cam". I figured there might be a driver/app or hack to do this with a broad line of cameras. Nope...

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    From what I *understand* -- I may be wrong -- iChat only works with firewire cams.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

From what I *understand* -- I may be wrong -- iChat only works with firewire cams.

I have some some USB tools that make iChat work with USB. Anyway, I am generalizing about webcam chat apps, I can use Yahoo, etc. I am concearned about the hardware (camera) and drivers right now. I will deal with the apps and stuff later (looks like a lot of webcam software exists for USB cameras, assuming I can find one)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Why not just buy an el-cheapo webcam? They aren't expensive. That isn't helpful I know...