sudo won't do!

anranr
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi everyone,

I spent some time yesterday trying to install the newest Apache and PHP on my machine. After some very weird situations ( apparantly two apaches were battling ) i decided to remove everything that included httpd and php. This is not my problem though as I have gotten it working again, but sometime during the progress sudo stopped working!

It refuses to acknowledge my password anymore and i'm sure that i'm typing it correctly - it worked beatifully earlier.

I tried repairing permissions, and it changed them for sudo, but it still doesn't work! \

The man page mentions something about the shadow passwords but I fail to see what should have changed.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by anr

It refuses to acknowledge my password anymore and i'm sure that i'm typing it correctly - it worked beatifully earlier.

I tried repairing permissions, and it changed them for sudo, but it still doesn't work! \

The man page mentions something about the shadow passwords but I fail to see what should have changed.

Any ideas?

First, you got lucky by not really screwing something up by doing what you did (but that's besides the point and it seems to have worked out ).

Have you tried changing your password? Use the Accounts preference pane and change your password there. Maybe something got screwed up there.... Then try sudo again. Failing that, you could create a new admin user and trying using sudo from that account.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    anranr Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Have you tried changing your password? Use the Accounts preference pane and change your password there. Maybe something got screwed up there.... Then try sudo again. Failing that, you could create a new admin user and trying using sudo from that account. [/B]

I now tried both of these and i get the same result. Am i looking at installing 10.3 on top again?

\

anr
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by anr

I now tried both of these and i get the same result. Am i looking at installing 10.3 on top again?

\

anr

Start up off the 10.3 disc and change the root password, then try it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    My sister in law had the same problem except it was for the Master password. She was no longer able to add any new programs or do software updates. Nothing worked even putting the 10.3 disk in. We ended up reformattng and reinstalling everything again. Her only complaint after that was that I did not reinstall the OS 9 drivers during reformatting. She missed some of her card games and the driver for her usb camera would not install after that. If you find another work around I would love to hear it.

reg
  • Reply 5 of 5
    anranr Posts: 12member
    Well i thought i should report as to what happened.

I thought i would have to reinstall, but before i tried to stick the sudo in which was working on another mac. Booted up in target disk mode and replaced.

And it worked!

Don't ask me how but apparently sudo had been removed after the test i run where it wouldn't use my password. Very weird...