Photoshop CS Color Space & Embedded Mismatch

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have been shooting photos with my Canon Digital Rebel. I use the largest .jpeg setting and do not shoot in .raw mode.

I'm also reading Scott Kelby's book in which he states that for color correction purposes, one of the first things to do is to change Photoshop's default color space from sRGB IEC61966-2.1 to Adobe RGB (1998 ).

I have done this. But now every time I am in the Photoshop browser and open a photo, I get the error message "Embedded Profile Mismatch". And I am forced to open the photo in the default color space of sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Apparently the Canon Digital Rebel uses the embedded profile of sRGB IEC61966-2.1 which Scott Kelby says is "arguably the worst color space for professional photographers".

Is there any way around this? Can I change the embedded profile that my Canon Digital Rebel makes use of? Or if I want to change the embedded profile it uses, must I shoot in .raw mode?

Thanks for any input you have!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Put a space after the 8 and before the ) or disable smilies in your post.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Go in Color Settings to Advanced Mode, choose your Working Space (Adobe RGB 1998), uncheck 'Profile mismatches: Ask When Opening'.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    slackulaslackula Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

Go in Color Settings to Advanced Mode, choose your Working Space (Adobe RGB 1998), uncheck 'Profile mismatches: Ask When Opening'.

I'm a little confused yet on the issue of working color spaces.

If I do as you have noted, will I actually be working in the Adobe RGB 1998 color space and my finished product will be inproved? Once again, I'm a newbie, so please educate me! But I get the impression that my camera uses just the one default "embedded" profile (which Kelby advises against). So does it actualy matter what settings I change Photoshop to work in? And if I do as you have noted, will I actually "be working" in the Adobe RGB 1998 color space? Or will my system simply no longer be informing me each time I open a photo that it is working with the old default color space as that is what my camera "records in"?

Thanks again in advance for all of your assistance!

• Reply 4 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Just change the color management policies to "Convert to working RGB" while unchecking the profile mismatches options. This will automatically change your profiles from sRGB IEC61966-2.1 to Adobe RGB without asking. There are some instances where you don't want this to happen, but if you mostly use photoshop for digital images than you can have this set.

There is also another way to do this. You can record a action script and change the profile to Adobe RGB. Than you can run a batch process from the file menu to apply the changed colorspace to all the photos in a folder.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jasonvpjasonvp Posts: 33member
    Uh.. wait a sec here. Let's get a brief knowledge of color spaces before we make suggestions to Slack.

Adobe RGB 1998 has the widest available gamut of color (especially greens) for your files. Excellent if you intend to print your pictures on a color inkjet or dye sub printer.

sRGB's color space isn't as wide. sRGB is what your web browsers use when rendering images.

Adobe RGB does little good for your images if your camera can't support it. If your camera only takes images in sRGB color space, then converting it to Adobe RGB is nothing but a waste of time. In fact, conversions generally only make sense when you shoot in Adobe RGB and want to save for web publishing purposes. You convert from Adobe->sRGB and lose some of the colors (nothing your eye is going to notice at first glance.)

So where does this leave you and Photoshop? Well, can your camera produce files in Adobe RGB? According to http://www.dpreview.com it can. So, if you want to continue working in AdobeRGB color space in Photoshop, then tell your camera to start saving the files that way instead of in sRGB (this is what I do.)

HOWEVER, if you're going to display your pics on the web, you'll want to convert them to sRGB after you've done all your editing, resizing, cropping, etc. I don't have PShop handy, but I think the menu choices are Image -> Adjustments -> Convert to Profile or something like that. Don't Assign to Profile, convert it.

Clear as mud?

jas
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    True, changing the profile from sRGB to Adobe RGB won't add more colors to your picture, but if you touch-up your photographs for print or color correct your imags than you have a larger range of supported colors if you need them.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Just a note: If you are doing this work for the web, then you can just about ignore color space, especially the differences we are talking about in this thread. Because most viewers are surfing the web with IE on Windows, a platform that has just about 0 color control, the differences induced by their browser and video system will wipe out any of the fine adjusts that color spaces are meant to address.

This is unless you are in a very specialized colorspace (mostly medical and scientific data).