The Trial

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I need to reach a verdict. I'm a sound engineering and digital video production major and I'm looking to purchase myself a Mac for composing/recording music and for digital video editing. My internal debate is what I should purchase, desktop or laptop. If I purchase a desktop, I'll be waiting for the Rev B PowerMacs, if I go laptop, I'll be getting the next G4 revision PowerBook (hopefully released in the next week or so according to some sources). What I'd like to ask is, I'll be working with Final Cut Pro 4 and Logic Pro, and I'm wondering if there is a significant difference between audio and non-Hollywood blockbuster film production on a G4 and G5 system? Obviously rendering times would be a large factor but since I'm not doing anything professional yet, that's not too much a concern. Any advice/suggestions highly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    I would suggest going Tower, unless you need on-site editing. Get a G5 with as much RAM as you can afford along with a dedicated or 2 scratch drives. Audio and Video with many layers/channels will need as much bandwidth as possible.