MySQL Problems.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Basically, I have no permissions to do anything. I installed it, couldn't get it to work, uninstalled it, reinstalled, and still have the same problems. Since MountMyFloppy refuses to try and help me(), I thought I'd ask for some others help.

When I installed, I wasn't prompted for a password or anything. I installed following directions from entropy.ch. There wasn't much I could have screwed up really I didn't think. Run the package installer.

Here is the problem I am consistently getting when doing to do...well anything basically.

Code:

Albook:~ ast3r3x$ mysql

Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \\g.

Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 4.0.18-standard

Type 'help;' or '\\h' for help. Type '\\c' to clear the buffer.

mysql> CREATE DATABASE jokes;

ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'jokes'

mysql>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    You have to login to mysql with an admin password.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Code:

Albook:~ ast3r3x$ mysql -uroot -p****

ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)

Albook:~ ast3r3x$ mysql -u root -p

Enter password:

Albook:~ ast3r3x$ mysql -uroot -p

Enter password:

Albook:~ ast3r3x$

Still no worky.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

The mysql password is different from your admin password - you should have set one for root when you installed mysql. The root mysql user is the one that has the permissions to make the database so if you have assigned a password just log in to mysql as root like so:

mysql -u root -p

and enter the pw at the prompt.

Then you should be able to create the db.

I used the .pkg installer from mysql.com. It never prompted me or asked me for an administrator password. It installed, asked me for my admin password so it would have permissions to install, and then installed. Never did it ask me for anything.

Edit: Ok apparently root doesn't have a password, because it allowed me to login and create a database with root if I didn't put anything as the password. So how do I set it, because it could compromise the little security I have
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thanks everyone! I got everything working, and now I just have to learn to use it, but it doesn't seem too difficult, so lets hope even a mildly retarded person like myself can pick it up no problems