anyone with a Dual 1.8?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i am looking to upgrade my set up. i have been waiting till the new PMs are introduced but the delay is going to be long. does anyone here know if the latest shipments of the current powermacs have dealt with the power supply issues? i am looking at the dual 1.8 in particular. does anyone here have one? any advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

ghi

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    seeing as the emacs were just updated nicely, you should prob wait. itll be 3 weeks tops. the emac has a faster superdrive than the g5, that cannot go without change in that timeframe. patience young padewan.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    I just recieved a dual 2.0. No issues that I can see (no buzzing, excess humming, etc). It kind of revs up when running something intensive, but this noise is relative.

HTH
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    i wish...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Put aside that it looks like the G5s are in for an update soon...

My dual 1.8 is great. It's stock, but I've run some alot of apps on it just to see how it handles everything and it all seems to work just fine.

I don't know if you're doing commercial-sized stuff or just home use, but this is a great machine for either.

I haven't found any quirks with it, sleeps fine, shuts down fine, boots up fairly quickly, doesn't lock up (10.3.3).

The one quasi-strange thing is that when I wake it from sleep it sounds like the harddrive revs once (kinda like a motorcycle but pretty quiet.) Maybe this is normal behavior because nothing strange happens afterward.

No power issues, no connection issues (minus slowish DSL, stupid Qwest).

Oh, and my kids use it (4 and 2 years old) and it's proven pretty rugged.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rentedmule

Put aside that it looks like the G5s are in for an update soon...

My dual 1.8 is great. It's stock,

Stock, huh. . . I've got a cold-air intake and headers on mine.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rentedmule

The one quasi-strange thing is that when I wake it from sleep it sounds like the harddrive revs once (kinda like a motorcycle but pretty quiet.) Maybe this is normal behavior because nothing strange happens afterward.

That's perfectly normal, and it isn't the hard drive, it's the nine fans revving up to a normal operating RPM (I think it's part of a self-test of some kind)

I have a Single 1.8, and it plays like a dream (UT2k4), cuts like a dream (Final Cut Express 2.0), and edits like a dream (Photoshop). I can only assume that the Dual model can only be better.