Just got a PowerBook 3400 @240 MHz...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Supposedly a guy at work that my dad knows just upgraded to a current PowerBook, and he was going to :::::throw the 3400 out::::: as in, put it in the trash can. My dad luckily asked to have it, so I have this 25 inch thick beauty on my desk next to my iMac.

It has a perfectly conditioned 12'' LCD screen and runs OS 8.6. I had it online in 5 minutes, through the ethernet port on the back! It has pretty good functionality for something of its age. I think it was February 1997 when it was introduced, a time when I drooled over it in the Mac magazines. Now I have one, just about 7 years late. It also has...

3 GB Hard Drive

80 MB of RAM (I think)

Floppy

CD ROM

and one other connection that I have no clue what it is/does.

--

I think this PowerBook will be decent for some @home net surfing and word processing. It rendered web pages at decent speeds.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Hey, I still have my 3400/200 from my undergrad days. The 240 MHz version was the fastest laptop of its time; I used mine for CAD work. The day I upgraded to a Lombard was the day my shoulder thanked me.

That funny looking port is probably the SCSI connection. PowerBooks shipped with a smaller version which needed an adapter to turn it into a full sized connecter. The ethernet port is also unique in that it is also the modem port, automatically recognizing wither an ethernet or phone cable is plugged in. A dual headed adaptor shipped if both cables needed used simultaneously.

I have tried using it for broadband internet usage and it was rather painful to use. Page rendering on today's complicated sites overpower the graphics card. The 800x600 12 inch screen doesn't help either. Too bad because it really is a decent word processing and web surfing laptop.