...BRAND NEW 1.8 GHZ problems...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
...ok,

i just opened a brand spankin new G5 1.8ghz Dual with 2g memory added by the staff at the shop.

could someone please tell me why the F!!!!

..(stay calm)...i cannot see a thing on the monitor yet both my G3 and G4 are showing up fine??!!.

basically i press the 'on' button and the light comes on, the fans start spinning(looks good by the way) and thats it. i here the apple dong noise but no picture and the keyboard open disc drive button donst work. ive tried my 2 La cie monitors and nothin. were as my G4 and G3 are happy to swap screens and leads

ive even used the G5 keyboard and mosu on G4 and they work fine!!!...

i just need to check here before i make the journey back to the shop.

is there a special something that i have missed here?...

both G3, G4 were straight set ups when i got them sooooo whats up with the G5?...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ...oops sorry about the spellin im tryin to work this thing out as well as stretch my self over the side of the desk to type.
  • Reply 2 of 7

For future reference.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ...thanks...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Make sure it boots at all. If there are no HD-specific sounds, try to connect the G5 to an older machine in Firewire Target mode and check the disk. You may have to zap the PRAM. You can also try booting off the install CD.

First of all, we need to know if the Mac is able to start up anyhow.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Make sure it boots at all. If there are no HD-specific sounds, try to connect the G5 to an older machine in Firewire Target mode and check the disk. You may have to zap the PRAM. You can also try booting off the install CD.

First of all, we need to know if the Mac is able to start up anyhow.

And by "start up at all", in case you don't know, means whether or not you can boot it with a CD, or some other perceivable scenario that canbe executed upon your means. Also, can you get the unit into the OperFirmware prompt or can't you? Try holding down: Command-Option-O-F during boot time. "O" as in Oscar and "F" as in Foxtrot. If you can get an OpenFirmware dialog raster on the screen, we can almost rule out hardware failure.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ...thanks dudes.

i tried but nothin works, just fans blowin and the lights on. ive taken it back to the shop and im waitin for them to give me a call. they wouldnt even let me have another one till they can say this one has faults with it.

well when i get back i'll let you know what the problem was.

thanks again!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ...ok, they fixed the problem which was that the graphics card had not been pushed in correctly. thats why there were no visuals on my screen.

the dude at the shop showed me more about trouble shooting the G5 should other things happen.

well i got my G5 back, now on with the work.\

thanks for tryin to help out people,