HP All-in-one Setup Assistant won't go away on iBook set up to wirelessly print.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My mother's iBook is set up to print wirelessly to my parents' HP Officejet 7130 that's connected to their G4 iMac. The problem is that after I downloaded and installed the latest driver's on her iBook, the Setup Assistant won't go away. I can't go through it all because the printer isn't physically attached to the iBook, but I also can't figure out how to get the Setup Assistant to STOP running automatically when she restarts the machine.

The iBook prints fine to the Officejet. The only problem is shutting up the Setup Assistant. Any ideas? HP's web site gave me nothing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    Try System Preferences > Start up items. If not, I think you can just delete the setup assistant.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    Logan,

You can't just delete! Cosmonut, HP drivers are "evil" as I have learned. First off,, it's too late for you but for others for future reference, do not install any printer drivers from HP. OS X.x.x works fine without it because CUPS already knows how to handle HPs.

I had 2 LCD iMacs where one was installed with HP printer driver and other iMac just "plug and played." They both worked the same. The first one stuck with the stupid HP Assistant and once I trashed it and emptied the trash, it annoyingly told me it was not allowed. I tried every conceiveable way of deleting it (no terminal command though, I don't know how) only to call HP technical. I held on for about fifteen minutes and finally spoke to a tech. He told me that the only way to remove the assistant or the actual HP driver install was by the original CD that contains the uninstall that is hidden in the second (or third level).

So, Cosmonut, I hope you have the original CD...otherwise, how to terminal guide book!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ....I deleted mine no problem.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    How can you print without the drivers? I am waiting for the OS 10.3 drivers for a Hp G95 all-in-one. Hp doesn't let you download this driver from their web site you have to order a cd. My laptop will see the G95 but will not let me select it to do any printing, scanning or faxing. Sorry about stealing the thread.

reg
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Well, OS X seems to have generic print drivers already installed in it. It's better to have the *specific* print drivers from the manufacturer, though.

The Setup Assistant acts separately from the drivers. Its convoluted job is to ask what kind of paper I use, and install the goofy little program with which I can more easily scan (which I do in Photoshop), import photos from the card reader (which I do in iPhoto), etc.

I'll just try deleting it. I honestly didn't think of that. Brain fart!

• Reply 6 of 6
    Try deleting it. [starsky] DO IT [/starsky}