Negroponte

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,116999,00.html

Whats this we have here? Aren't we supposed to be fighting a war against terrorists? During the mid-1980s, Negroponte was involved in covering up right-wing death squad activity and other human rights abuses in Honduras when he served as ambassador to that country. Doesn?t Negroponte?s role in aiding and abetting state terrorism in Central America undermine the credibility of the United States in it's war against international terrorism? In which case, what are we doing appointing someone with a history of involvement in, and promotion of terrorism, to such a senior position?

Background of John Negroponte

The New York Times credits John Negroponte with "carrying out the covert strategy of the Reagan administration to crush the Sandinista government in Nicaragua" during his tenure as U.S. Ambassador to Honduras from 1981 and 1985. He oversaw the growth of military aid to Honduras from $4 million to $77.4 million a year. In early 1984, two U.S. mercenaries, Thomas Posey and Dana Parker, contacted Negroponte, stating they wanted to supply arms to the Contra army after the U.S. Congress had banned governmental add. Documents show that Negroponte connected the two with a contact in the Honduran military. The operation was exposed nine months later, at which point the Reagan administration denied any U.S. government involvement, despite Negroponte?s contact earlier that year. Other documents uncovered a scheme of Negroponte and then-Vice President George Bush to funnel Contra aid money through the Honduran government.

In addition to his work with the Nicaraguan Contra army, Negroponte helped conceal from Congress the murder, kidnapping and torture abuses of a CIA-equipped and -trained Honduran military unit, Battalion 3-16. No mention of these human rights violations ever appeared in State Department Human Rights reports for Honduras. The Baltimore Sun reports that Efrain Diaz Arrivillaga, then a delegate in the Honduran Congress and a voice of dissent, told the Sun that he complained to Negroponte on numerous occasions about the Honduran military?s human rights abuses. Rick Chidester, a junior embassy official under Negroponte, reported to the Sun that he was forced to omit an exhaustive gathering of human rights violations from his 1982 State Department report. Sister Laetitia Bordes went on a fact-finding delegation to Honduras in May 1982 to investigate the whereabouts of 32 Salvadoran nuns and women of faith who fled to Honduras in 1981 after Archbishop Oscar Romero?s assassination. Negroponte claimed the embassy knew nothing, but in 1996, Negroponte?s predecessor Jack Binns reported that the women had been captured, tortured, and then crammed into helicopters from which they were tossed to their deaths.

According to the Los Angeles Times, shortly after Negroponte?s nomination was decided, the U.S. government revoked the visa of General Luis Alonso Discua Elvir, who was Honduras? deputy ambassador to the UN. General Discua was the commander of the Battalion during Negroponte?s tenure as ambassador. He has publicly claimed to have information linking Negroponte with the battalion?s activities. His testimony would be invaluable in illuminating Negroponte?s collusion with Honduran opponents on Capitol Hill. In 1994, the Honduran Human Rights Commission charged Negroponte personally with several human rights abuses.

On August 27, 1997, CIA Inspector General Frederick P. Hitz released a 211-page classified report entitled "Selected Issues Relating to CIA Activities in Honduras in the 1980s." This report was partly declassified on October 22, 1998, in response to persistent demands by the Honduran human rights ombudsman. You can read parts of the document on the National Security Archives website. Only senators and their staff who have security clearance can read the report in its entirety. It is absolutely critical that every senator read and consider the entire report before approving Negroponte?s nomination. Negroponte is highly respected in diplomatic circles as "a man who speaks five languages but knows when to keep silent."

and from another article:

Quote:

......It may seem strange now that Elliot Abrams and John Negroponte would have facilitated Argentinian fascists (who refined their torment of Jewish victims back in Buenos Aires by torturing them beneath portraits of Adolf Hitler). But Abrams and Negroponte did just that. Argentinian officers trained members of the Honduran army in techniques of mass repression while John Negroponte was ambassador in the Honduran capital Tegucigalpa from 1981 to 1985. There he worked closely with Honduran armed forces chief Gustavo Alvarez Martinez to impose a "national security" state on the Argentine model - that is, a police state based on extra-judicial murder.

As U.S. ambassador in Honduras, John Negroponte displayed cynical contempt for U.S. Congress and legitimacy, shamelessly violating the 1983 Boland Amendment restricting aid to the Contra. On Negroponte's recommendation, the Reagan government gave Alvarez Martinez the Legion of Merit in 1983 for "encouraging democracy." Alvarez Martinez was reponsible for disappearing over 140 trades unionists, students and other leaders of the Honduran popular movement between 1981 and 1984. In 1989, in a test case, the Inter-American Court of Human Rights convicted Honduras of forcibly disappearing four people between 1981 and 1983.

http://www.doublestandards.org/solo8.html

Then there's the strange case of Otto Reich, Bush's Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs:

Reich has also been heavily involved with Central American terrorism, including being a close associate of terrorist Orlando Bosch, who was convicted and jailed in Venezuela for the bombing of an airliner, killing 73 people. This bozo was pardoned by Bush Sr. and now lives in Florida. (!!)

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/FoT.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    WTF is going on? SJO posting a fox news link? Look to the west 'cause the sun is going to rise!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I must say, when the administration cabinet was forming I was shocked that a politician was able to openly choose some of the members . . . Negroponte was one: how can his inlvolvements with death squads go unnoticed (I thought) . . . but now I know: nobody cares

Then there is the whole entanglement, very deep entanglements, with the Carlisle Group . . . I mean the whole cabinet seemed to be working for some other organization . . . but now I know better: looking for connections that involve incredibly huge amounts of cash and intertwined corporations and multiple influences is only 'nutso conspiracy tin hat' thinking . . . disregard any other motives . . . thus Rush has taught me . ..

but really, keep digging and posting . . . . but please try to simplify so that I can read it fast
  • Reply 3 of 10
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

WTF is going on? SJO posting a fox news link? Look to the west 'cause the sun is going to rise!

You know what they say about SJO posting disreputable sources....
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Yea. See how many lies and mischaracterizations you can post. Find as many anti-American leftist you can too fling shit at Bush from every angle. It's very educational.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Yea. See how many lies and mischaracterizations you can post. Find as many anti-American leftist you can too fling shit at Bush from every angle. It's very educational.

Maybe you should try it . . . . but its kind of funny how it doesn't even have to be lefty sources . . they seem to be everywhere . . . . its almost too easy . . . I wonder why that could be?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Well, the post IS a Fox News quote.

So now Fox News is flinging anti-American leftist lies?

Damn, Scott, I thought they were "your people", fellow crusaders against the Liberal Media.... what happened?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Now careful kids... the new policies the administration is trying to set forth call for the discipline of posters exhibiting extreme stupidity and/or retardation when posting, at the moderators discrimination; just because you get pissed at someone doesn't mean we'll ban you.

Not pointing fingers right now, just saying to keep it clean; I can already feel this thread succumbing to the 'dark side'.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Is the fox news link the only link in this thread?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Here ya go Scott:

http://www.fpif.org/republicanrule/officials_body.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Negroponte

http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/HL0310/S00208.htm

Even in my die-hard Republican days I always felt this fellow's soul was way too dark...

I continue to be amazed at what subjects fire up the troops here at A.I. (peeing thread, et al,...) and that a good post like this is just about getting ready to drop out of sight. Oh well.