need help changing MAC address

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, genius people! I need some help! My university has a bandwidth quota system and I went over quota because some crap heads were in my room. Anyways, I need to know how to change my MAC address so that I can get back to studying in my room. Does anyone have a clue how this is done? I know it is easy to do in Windows but don't have a clue how to do it in OS X. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    The MAC address on your NIC is a unique, hard-coded number that is set by the factory when it is manufactured. You can't change it. Not in Windows, not on a Mac. To change it, you have to actually replace your NIC altogether.

There are some hacker apps that can spoof the MAC address for Windows, but they aren't the most "legitimate" solutions. I don't think any are available for your Mac.

Lesson learned: watch your bandwidth and don't use file-sharing apps. You should know better!

Also, in the future, please follow the Posting Guidelines with regard to thread titles. I have changed the title here to something more appropriate.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    You need to get yourself a cheap internet router. Popular internet routers can do what you want. Set it up with the same settings as your computer and copy the mac address from your computer or use the router's MAC. Now if you need a new MAC address, just change a number (0-9) or letter(A-F) and restart the router.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Oh it's possible to spoof your MAC address, try:

http://slagheap.net/etherspoof/

Now, good luck.

Edit: Found another method (that may work?):

+ open the terminal

+ type 'sudo ifconfig en0 ether <MAC Address> (you'll be asked for your root password)
  • Reply 4 of 9
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

+ open the terminal

+ type 'sudo ifconfig en0 ether <MAC Address> (you'll be asked for your root password)

That's Panther-only IIRC.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Why don't you just call the helpdesk and have them sort it out? Usually there's about a week of crap throwing, but in the end everything always works out.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Thanks people for the feedback. Just an update to the situation:

I emailed RESNET and was contacted on Wednesday by a wonderful lady who reconnected me and everything is fine. She had no idea that the front lines of the tech support were so rude and she is investigating the matter.

Thanks again!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Why don't you just call the helpdesk and have them sort it out? Usually there's about a week of crap throwing, but in the end everything always works out.

yes, but that seems to be too easy, some people, don't ask why, prefer almost always the hard bricked way.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macaddict74

Thanks people for the feedback. Just an update to the situation:

I emailed RESNET and was contacted on Wednesday by a wonderful lady who reconnected me and everything is fine. She had no idea that the front lines of the tech support were so rude and she is investigating the matter.

well, everything works out smoothly, finally.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I had emailed RESNET before I had spoken to the RUDE front-line staff. Their seems to be a fault in the system where the front-line staff is not allowed to give the call to a higher authority but that higher authority believes that any problems requiring them will be addressed to them but it isn't. Instead the front-line boneheads wont even tell a higher authority that you want to speak to them!!! I spoke to the lady about it and she was shocked!!! Talk about major communication problems and crappy service! But in the end it was worth it and it just goes to show that amidst a pile of shit you can still find something that is good (Don't take that literally or you could end up in some messy business).