Does 3rd Party Media RUIN/DAMAGE your superdrive??

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have seen on the apple.com.au website that 3rdparty media and appel media that is too fast IE- 4x,8x etc for your superdrive may cause problems to the superdrive. MY PB has a 2x one. Apparently ontop of this it will only burn at 1x speed??? is this true.

Does anyone know where to get the update if any torectify this? i have looked on apples link butit doesn work?

Has anyone bought 4x TDK media or whatever and burnt a DVD on a SD PB? if so did it write at 2x? 1x? any problems!

Any advice is well appreciated!

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The company that makes the media has nothing to do with whether it will damage your drive or not. There was simply an issue with using 4x media in a 2x DVD-R drive. And it affects ALL DVD-R drives, not just ones in Macs. A firmware update was released that allows you to use 4x media in a 2x DVD-R drive. However, that 4x media will burn at 1x.

If you want more media for your drive, look at various places like Pricewatch.com to find inexpensive 2x media. And quality does matter - a brand like Memorex or TDK will be much more reliable than a generic low-quality brand like KHypermedia.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    note of referance: the apple superdrive is nothing more than a pioneer dvd-r drive, nothing speacial exept maybe

"apple superdrive" as the product name on the lable and firmware