48gb hard drive from ibm-very noisy

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hello!

i recently replaced my 20gb hard drive on my powerbook g4 with 48gb one from ibm..... it's much more noisy than my 20gb and it makes this clicking noise sometimes, especially when it first restarts. is this normal? does anyone have same experience? do i have to send it back to where i purchased it? i am not sure if this is normal (maybe it is, since it turns faster than 20gb).... thank you for any information!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    i also got a 48 gig hd (a few months ago)...mine often makes that clicking, ball-bearing type noise (maybe every 30 sec)...it's odd, but it does not bother me really...i don't know if it is normal...hopefully others will chime in
  • Reply 2 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    My Ti 500's got the 30 GB drive (the largest when it was produced) and I've been tempted to swap it out for another drive. The newer IBM drives are faster (5400 RPM) and larger (up to 60 GB!), but if they're just as noisy it's not worth the money.

Not only do I hear the rotation of the drive, but the clacking of the heads as they recalibrate from time to time. I can take the clacking if that's the way it has to be, but for God's sake make that drive not spin so noisily?!

What are everyone elses' experiences?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    Interesting, because those drives (all of them) have 'fluid dynamic bearings' which are supposed to make them quieter.

Maybe Toshiba's drives are quieter? I know they make a 9.5mm ultra slim 40 GB that fits in the iBook.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    protodadaprotodada Posts: 125member
    hello!

when i restart, it (48gb drive from ibm) makes this clicking noise.. like a record player trying to find a spot... "click click" and sounds like something is stuck. that happens once in a while (randomly, but not that often).. so that is ok. but it makes this "click, click" sound (randomly, and more often). the previous 20gb drive was very quiet. i hardly heard it rotate nor click. i just checked and it is toshiba (20gb). other than the noise, it functions perfectly. i guess if the noise is normal, i will live with it. sometimes the clicking noise is so loud that i feel like the the keyboard will pop out ;-). i was just worried that something was wrong, mechanically... do people with 48gb drive from ibm have this noise problem often?

[ 06-11-2002: Message edited by: ProtoDAda ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    protodadaprotodada Posts: 125member
    hello!

after few weeks with old noisy drive, i just thought it cannot be this noisy. i live in a duplex loft and my friend could hear it clicking downstairs! so i called transintl. the technician there was very nice and told me that it cannot be normal. he sent out a new drive in two days. i replaced it and it hardly makes any noise now. it's as quiet or even quieter than the original 20gb toshiba that was shipped with this powerbook. i am very happy with it... and many thanks to transintl.....
  • Reply 6 of 6
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Hrm, my 60GB IBM drive also makes clicking sounds, I guess it is normal - the drive is quiet otherwise. It sort of freaked me out when I got the drive because the 40GB Maxtor it replaced was dying and ever so often made a beeping noise, the drive couldn't spin up (after a power disconnect and 20 minutes wait it would start up again). Interesting that only 30GB of the Maxtor got formatted when I moved it to the PC...