Mac in the Enterprise ? NSW RTA

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It seems that having lost Optus (an installation of around 5,000 machines) to that company's desire for integration with the IT infrastructure of its parent company (?), Apple Australia have finally managed to land another coup:

NSW Road Traffic Authority adopts iMacs for 1200 workstations

Points of interest include:

? an apparently heavy emphasis on the benefits of open-source, and the perception of Mac OS X as being at least partially an open-source operating system;

? a heavy emphasis on use of in-house and open-source software: they're going to use Mozilla as the interface to their web-based applications, for example, and their own java-based software for various other stuff;

? hardware was considered to be similarly priced to alternatives (we're talking iMacs here too... go figure), and it was considered a strong positive that the machines looked cool and were ergonomically sound; and,

? UNIX-ness was clearly a big deal here ? the RTA was pleased that the machines integrated with their 'nix network...

All I can say is that my continuing respect for Bob Carr and his government can only get deeper. I'm intrigued by them opting for iMacs to ? that's one in the eye to those who say that what is really needed is a headless iMac for enterprise.

(btw: I realise that the RTA is not an enterprise in the corporate sense; but I think there's more similarity between the way they operate and private business than most government departments).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Good to hear. Wish the US Gov't would get with the #)%@*(Uing program and ditch Windows. The worst place to have Windows is running the US Gov't and military. And that's its biggest customer probably. Makes me feel safe. Oh wait it's opposite day, no it doesn't!

Banks seem to like Windows too. I wonder how long it is before Al-Quaeda crashes Windows instead of planes to wreak the same kind of havoc? In other news today...more Windows security holes announced.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Just In Time for the 15" iMac update coming Real Soon Now (two weeks?). Great for clearing inventory!