Slow Drive with Garageband?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey all,

I've got a 12" Powerbook G4, with a 60gb drive in it. A lot of times when I do live recording in Garageband, it'll record for about 2-3 minutes (sometimes less) and then die saying my drive is too slow.

I've managed to minimize this by turning off effects while recording, muting all tracks but one when laying new tracks, and little things like that... but it still happens.

My drive is filevaulted, which I'm sure is contributing...

Is this happening to just me? Doesn't seem to me like my machine is THAT underpowered.

But, if it is, would an external FireWire drive be faster than the internal drive?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    12" powerbook=slow RPM (4200). thats your problem.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    You could try replacing the internal drive with a 5400 RPM or a 7200 RPM one. But that is difficult and it'll void your warranty.

I think it would be better and more cost-effective to buy an external enclosure and a 7200 RPM hard drive to put in it. Firewire cases are cheap, $40-$50, and a 120 GB 7200 RPM drive is about $100. Record on that and I am sure you won't run out of room.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Would external USB2 be slower than Firewire and a worse option ?

Yes. For a single device, the difference should be negligible. But if you have more than one peripheral connected, Firewire would be better than USB2. Firewire is better overall, but there are a lot more cheap USB2 cases around.