Next After Effects update?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone have info on any upcoming AE updates? Wondering if there's a 6.5 round the corner, and what it might add.



The one feature I'm needing right now is bending footage along a bezier path within the 3D environment. Similar to the Forge FreeForm plugin, but using imported or drawn bezier paths rather than the 'envelope' paradigm.



Anyone else have any thoughts?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 15
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    After Effects is discontinued for Mac, I believe.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by mrmister

    After Effects is discontinued for Mac, I believe.



    Are you sure? \
  • Reply 3 of 15
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    No, he's just kidding.

    I think he's a bit mad at Adobe for their Mac-policy lately. And rightfully so, with the most recent debacle with FrameMaker in mind. But that doesn't mean they're gonna shut down ALL Mac progs. As long as they show good sales there's no problem. And After Effects is just fine.

    But I haven't heard of any update, though.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    othelloothello Posts: 1,053member
    rumor has it, apple may release an after effects type application at NAB
  • Reply 5 of 15
    jkbjkb Posts: 18member
    Chambant = After Effects 6.5

    Due at NAB.

    New features: Grain simulation effects, color correction plug-ins, animation presets (save keyframes and transforms as a favorite), improve features (text, painting) introduced in v.6, bug fixes.



    This is what I knew ttwo months ago. I don't think it has changed.



    After Effects for Mac won't be going away any time soon. Over 40% of AE sales are on the Mac.



    jkb
  • Reply 6 of 15
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by othello

    rumor has it, apple may release an after effects type application at NAB



    I think you mean the rumored Shake update to version 3.5.

    Shake is a high-end program ($ 4.950) wich was used on Lord of the Rings e.a. It is an After Effects like program, just playing in a higher league.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    othelloothello Posts: 1,053member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by BigBlue

    I think you mean the rumored Shake update to version 3.5.

    Shake is a high-end program ($ 4.950) wich was used on Lord of the Rings e.a. It is an After Effects like program, just playing in a higher league.




    no, the kormac rumored 'final effects' app:



    here
  • Reply 8 of 15
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Mmm... yah. But it's a very vague statement:



    "Apple will announce 3rd party Firewire based HD In/Out system to work with

    Panasonic DVCPRO HD.

    It will be such a low price that it will change whole broadcasting Market."



    He doesn't mention where this comes from: an online source, or just a rumor ? There's not even an 'I heard it from the hairdresser from one of the programmers at Apple' or something. Or worse: MOSR.

    So I guess it's just an assumption ? He does seem to know what he's talking about.



    Would love this to be true, though ...
  • Reply 9 of 15
    othelloothello Posts: 1,053member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by BigBlue

    Mmm... yah. But it's a very vague statement:



    "Apple will announce 3rd party Firewire based HD In/Out system to work with

    Panasonic DVCPRO HD.

    It will be such a low price that it will change whole broadcasting Market."



    He doesn't mention where this comes from: an online source, or just a rumor ? There's not even an 'I heard it from the hairdresser from one of the programmers at Apple' or something. Or worse: MOSR.

    So I guess it's just an assumption ? He does seem to know what he's talking about.



    Would love this to be true, though ...






    read down a bit further (he has about 4 or 5 posts in a row)
  • Reply 10 of 15
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by jkb



    After Effects for Mac won't be going away any time soon. Over 40% of AE sales are on the Mac.



    jkb






    Really? I thought it was much lower. Anyway, good to know
  • Reply 11 of 15
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    lol here it is! G5 optimized too! gee i wonder why they released it today?



    after effects 6.5
  • Reply 12 of 15
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    1. So will Apple's release of MOTION further piss-off Adobe?



    2. Will they cancel AE for Mac after 6.5?



    Personally, I'm a big BIG fan of After Effects. I don't know what I'd do without it actually. But, a combination of MOTION and SHAKE does blow AE out of the water. But, who can afford $3G's on SHAKE. I can't.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Northgate



    2. Will they cancel AE for Mac after 6.5?





    If Motion does to AE what FCP did to Premiere then yes, they will. But it will be because no one is using it anymore.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by the cool gut

    If Motion does to AE what FCP did to Premiere then yes, they will. But it will be because no one is using it anymore.



    The difference with Premiere was that it took the launch of FCP to get Adobe to realize how crappy Premiere was. They missed the boat on the whole DV firewire thing. This is not the case with After Effects. Motion will have a lot of catching up to do before it can compete with After Effects.



    Adobe should continue to update After Effects for the Mac. There are a lot of people that rely on it.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Motion looks wonderful, but it's not the AE-killer some are making it out to be -- at least not Motion v1.0. Look at the tech specs and product sheet a little closer: lots of great, very cool technology and an amazing-looking interface (hey, it's Apple). But it's very much a version one application.



    I suspect that the people who think that Adobe will kill AE for the Mac either haven't used it -- or haven't observed just how prevalent AE is in the motion graphics biz.



    Really, if Adobe is smart, they'll add some much-needed polish for AE 7 / CS / WE for OS X -- and retain most of their users.
Sign In or Register to comment.