Why don't laptops and AIO's have video IN?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Why don't laptops and All in ones like the iMac and eMac have video IN? Especially on models where the screen costs more than all the rest put together, like the 20" iMac and 17" PowerBook? It couldn't cost that much to add 1 port and damn it would make the machine much more useful and longer lived. Perhaps even allow the PowerBook keyboard to be a keyboard for another computer.

It's such an obvious idea, why hasn't it happened? I've always been wanting this even since Classic macs like the Color Classic.

This would be another nice whizbang feature to add that PCs don't, like Gig E and FW.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    I'm confused if you're referring to Video In (as in capture)...

that's what FW is for... analog video-in is 3rd party

or if you're suggesting a 'pass-through function' to use an iMac or AlBook's screen as a monitor for another computer...

In the 2nd case, the need doesn't seem obvious at all. I don't know of any computer that does this.

If you want your Mac LCD to be the viewing screen for some other computer, maybe Apple Remote Desktop?

Aside from data bandwidth issues and GPU issues, I'm sure there are other challenges.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The 8500 I had once upon a time had built-in analog video-in, but it wasn't great. Then I bought a card from Aurora Video Systems that was much better for about $500. Broadcast size & frame rate, super-high quality, etc. It produced some really good results.

But now everything is done with firewire. Just use your DV cam or a deck and plug it into the Firewire port. DV is much better than the Aurora card I had, and it comes for free on every mac.

And Apple has been marketing this for a while. Where have you been? Mars?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    No.

I mean use it as a monitor.

Firewire is not a monitor connector. External FireWire video boxes are expensive and not for this (they are for ripping TV, etc)
  • Reply 4 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    the reasoning behind this is like 5 years down the line the computer is going to be obsolete, but the screen should still be usable...

a video in port would allow this to be possible..
  • Reply 5 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

the reasoning behind this is like 5 years down the line the computer is going to be obsolete, but the screen should still be usable...

Off topic . . . Are you a big mayo fan? If so, it's time to unionize.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Whaaat! Where the hell did mayonnaise come from! Yay randomness!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Whaaat! Where the hell did mayonnaise come from! Yay randomness!

See:

Paul

mayo

• Reply 8 of 9
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

In my view the screen is just as obsolete as the the computer it's in. Newer screens are much better and cheaper.

You would also need more than a video in port, you would need a way to power on the screen without powering on the whole computer.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Um I'd be pissed if in a few years my 20" iMac screen was "obsolete." Monitors take a loooong time to become obsolete. I used a 21" Apple Display with the old school Apple connectors and a converter on my G3 300 Smurf until a few years ago. Mayo: how can I have missed that.