Powerbook coating - problem or not?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Much has been said about the paint chipping on some Powerbooks. Is this just a few isolated instances?

However, if it's systemic, is Apple addressing this? I'm looking for a laptop, but I'm certainly not going to dish out $4K cdn. for something with a finish which will flake off within a matter of months.

One wonders if a new form factor is around the corner since nothing was done during the recent speed bump to rectify this problem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I guess not.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    I've only had mine a few weeks but the case is still flawless, and I don't keep it in a bag.

FWIW, I think the major internal revisions (new chips, DVI, new GPU) probably mean there won't be a change to the case design any time soon.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    wolfeye155wolfeye155 Posts: 425member
    I'm sure part of that was a result of all of the heat that the older ones emitted. I think I've read that the new ones are actuall cooler then the old ones so...take that for what you will. Also, I don't think that Apple will change the case anytime soon because they're alwasy saying how they love what they can do with the Titanium case.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Paint not an issue.

Not Systemic.

Just a bit a bad luck back in the past!!!

Mine is flawless, I dropped my mathmos Lavalamp leg on the lid of mine tonight and not a scratch (I still kicked myself)