iPod Mini fundamental issue...potentially bad for everyone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this yet.

Basically there is an engineering flaw in the mini that will render your ipod audio to crack and hiss and stuff like a bad radio station over time.

I don't know how many people will be getting it but to me it seems like everyone will and that it's just a matter of time.

So what do I do about it? Assuming this is the destiny of my ipod mini?

http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/sho...threadid=25901

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Or... assuming that out of the hundreds of thousands of MINIs shipped,

maybe the fact that very few problems are reported indicates the failure rate is miniscule and the handful of negative reports are just that... a tiny fraction.

IIRC, the connector these guys claim as the source of the 'problem' is identical on the iPod and robust
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

IIRC, the connector these guys claim as the source of the 'problem' is identical on the iPod and robust

THe difference is that the aluminium is malleable and bends. I think it's the bend that's causing the internals to move and eventually break the soldering of the 10 pins.

Remember, the mini has been out for not very long. With time more people might get this since to me it seems like it requires some use before it breaks, not something that is either broken or not.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

So what do I do about it? Assuming this is the destiny of my ipod mini?

If yours breaks, send it in. If not, don't.

Anyway, this is probably an issue for a few minis, not all of them. I don't think you need to worry unless you actually hear problems with your sound. And if the one year warranty is almost up and it hasn't acted up yet, then it probably never will.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    There's not only a thread about this, AppleInsider posted an article about it on the front page.

Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

THe difference is that the aluminium is malleable and bends. I think it's the bend that's causing the internals to move and eventually break the soldering of the 10 pins.

Note to Steve: Rename it the iPod Charmin, and people will stop squeezing it.