Should i upgrade, trade or sell my 1GHz tower?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A few months ago I had an urge to buy a Mac, my first Mac mind you. I was playing through all the things I wanted and what I came up with was:

Large Monitor - 20" at least

OS X

Reliability.

At the time I got exactly that. I picked up a 20" LCD from my local Apple reseller. Which in turn meant I could buy either a brand spanking new Gen 1 G5 Tower but no other toys like the Airport setup for my PC and my wifes iBook, no Ram upgrade & MOST importantly no 40 Gig iPod which I now worship. So I bought they only G4 Tower that reseller had in stock (impulse buy), a single 1GHz model with a 1 Gig dollop of ram on top.

Fast forward a couple of months and they release the 20" iMac. I was shattered as I wanted this form factor over my tower, ohh well.

Now a couple more months on and I have this nagging little itch:

Should I sell my tower now and buy either a new soon to be released G5 Tower, or maybe a nice shiny lil PowerBook and continue using that screen (which I now view as too small!).

OR

STFU and stick with what I have?

Any thoughts and input most welcome.

Zoran

PS. I don't even have a SuperDrive which is bumming me out as I think that would be neat. Luckily the manager of the local reseller at least gave me a free copy of 10.3 cause 3 days<weekend> after i bought the PM I wanted to give it back<unopened> and get the 1st gen 12" Powerbook with adaption cable, but alas went the student discount route and they had already processed it with Apple Australia *sigh* was even willing to pay more trhan I had to, to do this.

And my frigging 20" has a single stuck red PIXEL...bastard!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I'd say just stick with what you have. Your tower is highly expandable and if you ever need a new feature, you can probably add it. A Pioneer DVD burner is about $120. Besides, a G5 will not show a huge amount of benefit over your current system. It might be an improvement but I don't think it would be earth-shattering enough to justify the cost.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    i say sell
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I say defenately sell. i had a 20" imac which i settled for because i could not afford the 17" powerbook, which is what i really wanted. I had it for 2 months, and sold it on ebay. i knew with the ram upgrade and the apple care i bought i could come close to recovering all my money -- and i was right! I now have my 17" powerbook (bought it just before the new ones were expected to arrive) and i could not be happier.

get what you want. your computer is losing value daily -- and when the new g5's come out, it will be worth even less. sell it on ebay and get a PB or a G5. Obviously i prefer the PBs. I have a G5 at work, but i have been using my PB there -- just seems to be more solid than my G5 -- dont ask me why.

ebay, man. you wont regret it.