Connecting a powerbook to an external amplifier and speakers

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I can't seem to find any information on this. I'm looking to get some decent speakers for use in a mini-studio setup. I have two good quality hi-fi speakers and a decent hi-fi amp knocking around not being used. I was wondering if anyone had any information on how I might be able to connect the amp/speakers to my powerbook?

Is it simply a case of plugging the headphone jack into an input on the amp or can I not do what I'm trying to do?

Also, I assume I'd get a better sound doing this than simply spending £40-odd on a set of stereo computer speakers?

The other option I suppose is to shell out a bit more and get some sound creatures or something. Am I right in thinking that I could also plug those into my iPod? (old firewire style). If so that might be a deal-clincher. Can anyone comment on the sound quality? As it's for a mini studio setup I'm specifically looking for good clear stereo separation with a good frequency response. I'd like the sound to be as good as it is through my headphones or there's not much point.

Also, does anyone have the jbl duet 2.0 speakers? Any comments on the sound quality?

All help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    i have the jbl creatures and they do a nice job. when you say amp, do you mean to a receiver? cuz i cant see why you would want to plug it into an amp. if so, its quite easy to do and you will get a lot more power than little computer speakers. all you need is a the attachment that has two (red and white) on one end and a single input on the other. put the single in the headphone jack on your Mac and the red and whites in the back of the receiver (your choice which channel you want it at). if this isnt what you were looking for, sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    wiftywifty Posts: 70member
    Yes that's what I meant (I think).

Is there a correct input to plug the mac into? Aux , Phono etc..?

I remember reading somwere about putting an iPod into a stereo and there seemed to be some important reason to put it into one but not the other. Something to do with levels I think.

Of course, not important enough to warrant me remembering the info!

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 3
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wifty

Yes that's what I meant (I think).

Is there a correct input to plug the mac into? Aux , Phono etc..?

I remember reading somwere about putting an iPod into a stereo and there seemed to be some important reason to put it into one but not the other. Something to do with levels I think.

Of course, not important enough to warrant me remembering the info!

Thanks

Use the aux. Unless they're powered speakers you'll be needing the amp. Don't know about the creatures but I would think the speakers and amp would be better.