Crucial vs. Ramjet vs. Kingston?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm looking for RAM; 1 GB in the form of 2x512 sticks. It seems that I can't find much better prices than $210 (I don't trust 1-800-RAM-4U or whatever those companies name themselves), so the main battle is dependability and reputation. Crucial's price did go up recently, and now it's the priciest, and I'm thrifty, so I'm wondering how dependable Ramjet and Kingston are. Although I'm assuming this is close to moot, I also wonder whether there's any speed difference between the brands.

I have a Powermac G5 1.8 single, with the stock features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Kingston are good, never had a problem with any of there ram, I've never heard of ramjet so personally id go for kingston. As for crucial, well my experience with them aint the best.

i once bought 2 sticks which were identical but just wouldnt talk to each other at all, on their own they were fine. I guess they must of fallen out over who gets to ram the motherboard first.

As for speed, i couldn't really say. Buy kingston, Buy peace of mind.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    macmediamacmedia Posts: 152member
    Ramjet is awesome. Quality sticks and they stand behind their product. Great service if you need it. I personnally know the owner (I designed their site many moons ago) and he's a straight shooter.

Chas
  • Reply 3 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The Ramjet prices are a good $50 more than in the Macworld ads.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    *BUMP*

I would like to read more opinions about this comparison.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Unfortunately for you, ram prices have just recently gone bonkers. Just last month I was able to get 2 Crucial 512 mb sticks for $170.

Anyway, Crucial and Kingston are very reputable and very reliable. I've never had a problem with anything that I've purchased from either of those companies.

I don't have any experience with Ramjet, so I can't comment on them.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I've bought two sticks from Crucial at two different times. The first -- a few years ago -- was great. Very simple to order, and no problems.

The second, last summer, had some problems. After calling Crucial about it, they said, "Yeah, that sounds like a problem with the RAM. How do you want us to send the new one to you?" It was that simple.

I've been happy with Crucial. I'm about to buy some more RAM for my Powerbook here, and I'll probably go with them. At last check, the other day, Crucial was running some of the lowest prices.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Is there ANYWHERE I can get the two 512's for under $220?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Is there ANYWHERE I can get the two 512's for under $220?

I don't know anything about this company, but check this.....

There's also cheaper, but I can't vouch for the qualigty of them.

Check dealram.com
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Well, the Crucial prices backed down to $220/512x2, so that's what I'll be getting. Thanks!