Importing photos into iPhoto

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My wife has just upgraded to iphoto 4, and I discovered that she has been using iPhoto 2 in an odd way ( to me ), that has been broken by iPhoto 4.

When she receives email with photos in it, she saves the photo into the album folder in iPhoto's pictures directory. Im pretty sure you're not supposed to do this, but in iPhoto 2 it works because it is file based. It just seemed natural to her, and did exactly she expected ( until she deletes an album .

iPhoto 4 doesnt recognise the photo when it is saved into an album. Im assuming because it is based on some sort of real database, rather that iphoto 2 file based system.

Is there an easy way to import photos into iphoto from mail.app. I couldnt see anything, and she thinks that having to save the image and import it is so stupid she wants to revert to iphoto 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The easiest thing would be to drag it from the Mail message window into iPhoto -- either an album or the main library. This, of course, requires that you open iPhoto, however.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

The easiest thing would be to drag it from the Mail message window into iPhoto -- either an album or the main library. This, of course, requires that you open iPhoto, however.

that is the quickest way to get your very view pics from one particular app into iPhoto. But it is also the quickest way to screw up your iPhoto library, in the case you have not only a view pics BUT countless. at least my experience.

you always have to save your pics somewhere, than import it into iPhoto, that procedere is aproved. for example mail--> save and import to iPhoto that is the safe route

best
  • Reply 3 of 6
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

that is the quickest way to get your very view pics from one particular app into iPhoto. But it is also the quickest way to screw up your iPhoto library, in the case you have not only a view pics BUT countless. at least my experience.

you always have to save your pics somewhere, than import it into iPhoto, that procedere is aproved. for example mail--> save and import to iPhoto that is the safe route

best

Mail needs a command (and preferably a contextual menu item) that is enabled for graphics file attatchments only - "Add to iPhoto Library"
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Mail needs a command (and preferably a contextual menu item) that is enabled for graphics file attatchments only - "Add to iPhoto Library"

jep, or iPhoto shouldn't act that saucy at all
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

best

Could someone translate please? I REALLY don't know what he/she was trying to say here. Something about how dragging a photo into iPhoto will work but will mess up your file structure?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

... to screw up your iPhoto library,...

Quote:

Could someone translate please? I REALLY don't know what he/she was trying to say here. Something about how dragging a photo into iPhoto will work but will mess up your file structure?

oh come on, sorry for laziness, now i am excited, ok? i intended to say, that under rare circumstances iPhoto behaves a bit odd (the gui feels somewhat slow, absence of snappieness) . Example: That case occurs, if you drag a huge amount of photos from i.e. mail.app into iPhoto.

Than i have recommended, in order to avoid any kind of problems, save your pictures in mail.app AND than import it into iPhoto. I - and there i only speak for myself - experienced some weakness and some very slow overall behavior of iPhoto, when -and only WHEN! - i drag, let's say hundred of pics from mail.app into iPhoto.app. But saving and importing hundred of pics goes almost instantly. There is NO problem, if you drag and drop a photo (or two) once in a while.

And yes, saying "to screw up your iPhoto library" was admittedly wrong, ok? Did you get the picture now?

yours