Slashdots lack of morals

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Slashdot has a story and a thread about apple sueing the playfair (itms crack) distributers. is it me or do they have no morals, I mean I am right there with them on your right to rip/copy/archive dvds and cds any way you want but it seems that they have no respect for contracts, cracking itms music is a dmca violation, but it is also a violation of contract, when you buy from apple you agree to the contract, dont like it, go to sam goody.

and yes this is the same view i would have if M$'s drm were cracked.

why am I not posting this at slashdot? the last 2 times they had this story i tryed and was either bounced all the way around or modded (-1, flamebate) and thus burried, I guess the /.ers arent the honest freedom-seekers I once thought they were.

Has anyone else had this kind of experiance on /.?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Slashdot sucks.

One can prevent ever needing Slashdot by just making about 20-30 website bookmarks to the sites that people there usually quote from.

The rest is an unreadable never-ending tide of opinion that I usually could care less about (with rare exception). The horrendously crappy design of the site and asinine nesting of replies keeps me well away from it.

Besides, why listen to smug linux-kiddies when you can listen to us smug mac-kiddies?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    They do have good monkeys
  • Reply 3 of 7
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Slashdot has a story and a thread about apple sueing the playfair (itms crack) distributers. is it me or do they have no morals, I mean I am right there with them on your right to rip/copy/archive dvds and cds any way you want but it seems that they have no respect for contracts, cracking itms music is a dmca violation, but it is also a violation of contract, when you buy from apple you agree to the contract, dont like it, go to sam goody.

Really, I believe some things should not be legally allowed to stipulate in a license agreement (and in other countries they are not). Binding the customer into allowing only approved behavior stinks. This leads to extremes like when Microsoft tried to force you to accept you were not allowed to write anything derogatory about MS on their products. Gimme a break. They sell it, they part with it.

Next, I don't believe it violates DMCA, because it is no "crack" of FairPlay but it taps the unencrypted data stream after Apples QuickTime has peeled off the DRM layer and is sending the data to the audio subsystem.

Seems less of a crack than DVD-copying tools to me.

Next, I am not uploading music, but I'd neither buy from iTMS without a chance to peel the stupid DRM layer. You might think Apples idea of tying you into their product chain is the best thing since sliced bread, but I for once would like to have options. Yes, iTunes is a great jukebox and the iPod the best map3/aac-player on the market - but this may change some years down the road and I am not willing to buy all my tunes again.

Remember QuickTake? One of the first digi-cams. LaserWriter? One of the first laser printers for the mass market. Does Apple still produce laser printers or cams? What happens if they one day get out of the mp3-player business because the cheap chinese players have taken over?

So, more power to PlayFair - I got it and will surely not throw it away.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Really, I believe some things should not be legally allowed to stipulate in a license agreement (and in other countries they are not). Binding the customer into allowing only approved behavior stinks. This leads to extremes like when Microsoft tried to force you to accept you were not allowed to write anything derogatory about MS on their products. Gimme a break. They sell it, they part with it.

Next, I don't believe it violates DMCA, because it is no "crack" of FairPlay but it taps the unencrypted data stream after Apples QuickTime has peeled off the DRM layer and is sending the data to the audio subsystem.

Seems less of a crack than DVD-copying tools to me.

Next, I am not uploading music, but I'd neither buy from iTMS without a chance to peel the stupid DRM layer. You might think Apples idea of tying you into their product chain is the best thing since sliced bread, but I for once would like to have options. Yes, iTunes is a great jukebox and the iPod the best map3/aac-player on the market - but this may change some years down the road and I am not willing to buy all my tunes again.

Remember QuickTake? One of the first digi-cams. LaserWriter? One of the first laser printers for the mass market. Does Apple still produce laser printers or cams? What happens if they one day get out of the mp3-player business because the cheap chinese players have taken over?

So, more power to PlayFair - I got it and will surely not throw it away.

IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT SIGN IT, there is no gun to your head.

if I made a contract saying that i would sell you a book as long as you never shared the book, not so much as read it aloud, would you buy the book from me? or go to borderes where they dont give a crap what you do with the book so long as you pay for it

IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT SIGN IT

I coul;d make you a loan at 500% but you would be insane to take it.

less government regulation, more presonal responsability

let the buyer/signer be ware

when you buy dvds, you dont sign a fair use agreement, you also never agree to tos/tou (tou==terms of use)

and as for the itms, I wouldnt buy a single trak there, after burning my free ones to a cd and hearing the less than sickening, two pegs under FM compression
  • Reply 5 of 7
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT SIGN IT, there is no gun to your head.

if I made a contract saying that i would sell you a book as long as you never shared the book, not so much as read it aloud, would you buy the book from me? or go to borderes where they dont give a crap what you do with the book so long as you pay for it

IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT SIGN IT

I coul;d make you a loan at 500% but you would be insane to take it.

let the buyer/signer be ware

when you buy dvds, you dont sign a fair use agreement, you also never agree to tos/tou (tou==terms of use)

and as for the itms, I wouldnt buy a single trak there, after burning my free ones to a cd and hearing the less than sickening, two pegs under FM compression

My, a_greer's typing goes to hell when you make him mad. Must be huge hulk fingers.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Well if it comes to limiting my freedoms, I'd rather have a democratically elected government limit them than a business corporation, thank you very much. It is not like I can walk to Apple and tell them I want a different contract, it's "my way or the highway". We can argue this all night, but I don't believe that's the right way - if I pay money, I should have some say (within reasonable limits of course).

But, this wasn't even my main point. Think about the unlucky purchasers of eBook readers and eBooks. The transaction servers have been switched off, so they cannot transfer their books to another reader. Just great - you screen breaks and *poof* there goes your ability to read $200 worth of books. There are many not unlikely scenarios where the same could happen to DRM music, however, there always will be some kind of AAC player.

I strongly believe that using PlayFair to unwrap your music is immoral but not unethical as long as you don't P2P it - and I always regard the latter more important.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Well if it comes to limiting my freedoms, I'd rather have a democratically elected government limit them than a business corporation, thank you very much. It is not like I can walk to Apple and tell them I want a different contract, it's "my way or the highway". We can argue this all night, but I don't believe that's the right way - if I pay money, I should have some say (within reasonable limits of course).

But, this wasn't even my main point. Think about the unlucky purchasers of eBook readers and eBooks. The transaction servers have been switched off, so they cannot transfer their books to another reader. Just great - you screen breaks and *poof* there goes your ability to read $200 worth of books. There are many not unlikely scenarios where the same could happen to DRM music, however, there always will be some kind of AAC player.

I strongly believe that using PlayFair to unwrap your music is immoral but not unethical as long as you don't P2P it - and I always regard the latter more important.

this is still a violation of contract - ripping cds is not a violation of anything eccept the DMCA (DMCA is the real criminal in this digi music thing)

DMCA HOLDING BACK TECHNOLOGY AND USE THEREOF WITH PRIDE SINCE 1998