Mail and Exchange

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello!

Have a mail/exchange question. We have serveral Macs at the office. All have been set up with Mail-through-exchange servers. All work ok, with little configuring. There is one, ONE exception. It is my previous Boss' computer. We cannot set up the mail account through any possible means. Each time it errors out. POP, Exchange, or IMAP. We did have him set up with outlook 2001 on his old mac,which worked fine. I really would prefer to keep everyone here on mail, and not entourage. These are simple people and only one is on entourage right now..and he is having difficulty understanding the whole program. Well, the windows IT guy and myself have tried everything we could think of. We even set up our own accounts on his Mac WITH exchange and mail- AND THEY WORK. I have gone through the Mac and deleted every keychain and every mail prefrence I would find. Can anyone please point out the obvious that we have to be missing?

Much Thanks,

tommy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    How does it error out ?

The fact that you have setup working account in his mac suggest that its an issue with his mailbox / password / authentication setting. Personally I dont see what the big deal is with exchange - it;s got to be the WORST mail server ever!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    How do you get Mail.app to see the company's GAL list?

What about Office 2001 users who had .PST files?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Well, I have absolutely no control over what mail server the windows peeps use. I am the Senior Designer (and Apple tech, did that before going back to school, multi-talented I guess) and Exchange (excshmage, yada, yada) is what they use. I do agree it is the WORST mail server ever? but I personally don't think that it even warrants the title 'Mail Server'. Cause doesn't it have to do it reliably to be given a title?

Well, if I set up the account, it keeps telling me that the password for the username is no good. Keeps asking, again, and again, and again. We even had the windows admin go and check his account settings. He says there is nothing wrong on the server. I disagree. I can setup my account and any other Mac users account back there through: POP, IMAP or EXCHANGE? and they all work. Just his account. So I took this one step further...I tried to put his account on 4 different Machines. Same thing. Kicks back the password as not being correct. This tells me that it is NOT the Mac. Server-sided issues. I don't know if this will shed some light on the problems, but before he had been using outlook 2001 with the exchange server, and that was working well. Any more ideas?

Oh, and as far as the Global Address Listing, or Address Book being seen by Mail, it will only do it, IF the company turns on LDAP, which mine will not. They did not have the foresight to set it up, the windows peep tells me that if he configures it now, it can cause him to have to re-install the whole mail server?sad huh? If your company will not or does not have the LDAP set up, there is a workaround...crappy, but a workaround, sort of. Have someone in the office send one email to everyone that is in that global addy book, inluding the Mac user. The one Mac user can add all of those addresses into her/his addy book. Enter in any addtional information she/he may want. Then export that addy book, install on others Macs. That is what I did. I only need to update it once every 3 months. All you have to do is click 'add address to address book' when clicking on the name in the email.

~tommy
  • Reply 4 of 10
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    A quick work-around for people in office like mine where Exchange 5.5 is in use with no LDAP...

For 'access' to the GAL, including full details on all individuals etc.

1. Get a Palm Pilot. Any will do.

2. Use a PC and export the GAL to the Personal Address Book by highlighting all (shift at top and bottom of list), and select "add to personal contacts".

3. Sync Palm Pilot.

4. Sync Palm Pilot with Mac using conduit.

5. BINGO. All accounts in Mac Address Book with full details.

Also works to add Calendar events etc that can't be added./

This is effective if, like me, you have access to a PC as well as your Mac, or you have access to Virtual PC.

Either way, it lets me work on my Mac without the limitations imposed by our OLD Exchange server.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    I am going through the same problem right now. Our system administrator forced me to move to a exchange server yesterday. No matter what I do, it does not work. The difference from the previous post is that my setup does not have any error messages. When you click get mail, nothing happens. No mail.

Entourage sorta works with the same setup. Everything other than e-mail syncs up properly. So I had to create a separate IMAP e-mail account and now it works.

When I apply the same settings to Apple Mail. Nothing. Both exchange and IMAP produces the same results. Any ideas?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Do you want to use Outlook 2001 (miles ahead of Entorturage)?

Do you have Exchange 5.5 or later?

Create user BOSS on PDC as domain user. Ensure domain user BOSS is permissioned in Exchange to use exchange account BOSSMAIL.

In Outlook 2001 use the outlook setting prog and create a new profile. Enter the exchange server name and the account name BOSSMAIL. Check name and authenticate using domain user BOSS. This should have created a profile and all should be sweet.

In Entourage add exchange account.

Account name = exchange server email account name

Account id = domain user name

passwd = domain password for domain user name

domain = NT domain name

exchange server = the name of exchange server DUH!

name = has nothing to do with anything on any server

email address = see above but you can enter the exchange smtp address if you wish.

on the mail tab make sure the smtp server is the exchange server.

This work for all 200 users at my company except for my own personal e-mail account. Still haven't found out why but don't care!.

Dobby.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Do you want to use Outlook 2001 (miles ahead of Entorturage)?

Do you have Exchange 5.5 or later?

Create user BOSS on PDC as domain user. Ensure domain user BOSS is permissioned in Exchange to use exchange account BOSSMAIL.

In Outlook 2001 use the outlook setting prog and create a new profile. Enter the exchange server name and the account name BOSSMAIL. Check name and authenticate using domain user BOSS. This should have created a profile and all should be sweet.

In Entourage add exchange account.

Account name = exchange server email account name

Account id = domain user name

passwd = domain password for domain user name

domain = NT domain name

exchange server = the name of exchange server DUH!

name = has nothing to do with anything on any server

email address = see above but you can enter the exchange smtp address if you wish.

on the mail tab make sure the smtp server is the exchange server.

This work for all 200 users at my company except for my own personal e-mail account. Still haven't found out why but don't care!.

Dobby.

I'm sorry, you lost me...I use Exchange Server 5.5 and would like to use Entourage or Apple's Mail/iCal etc. and not Outlook 2001 in Classic. How is setting up an Outlook 2001 account related to getting this to work in OSX Entourage?

Why BOSS (or some other name) and not my account name?

Any assistance in configuring a connection to my Exchange 5.5 server is appreciated. Thanks
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Re Read my post and follow the

In Entourage ....

Dobby.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    I read dobbys post and made a few changes to my settings. Thanks dobby!

I've got full functionality in Entourage and partial functionality in Apple Mail and no functionality in Apple Address book.

Apple Mail will receive new mail and send mail within the network but it will not send anything outside of our company. Address book does not see the LDAP server.

Being a hardcore Mac User, I would like to use Apple Mail and Address book. Our IT department refused to assist us in the setup. They've been trying to convert us to Windows machines for the past few years and the only advice that they give is "Stop using Macs".

The only setting difference between Apple Mail and Entourage are as follows:

For SMTP, Entourage uses "SMTP server requires Authentication" and "Use same settings as incoming server". On Apple Mail, it gives you four choices of Authentication: Password, MD5 Challenge-Response, Kerberos 4, Kerberos 5. I can't seem to get any of the four choices to work. Any ideas?

Regarding the LDAP server, I've used the identical settings in both Entourage and Address Book but Entourage works and Address Book doesn't. The Apple address book has an additional option called scope. Does that make a difference?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I didn't know you could setup apple mail to connect to an Exchange SMTP server. I was always under the impression you needed to use IMAP. This could be the reason the Apple Mail SMTP authentication isn't working.

Also I think I remember reading that Entorturage wasn't supported on Exchange 5.5. I know it works its just not supported.

If your exchange server and mac are using the same LDAP authentication (doubt it though unless you have a LDAP/MS guru) then authentication should be easier.

Dobby.