iMac and CPU temp

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
All,

After a three month absence, I returned to India and fired-up my dormant iMac. Unfortunately, some of the apps seem to run really slow. For example, Address Book takes a good 30-40 seconds to launch (I have 182 entries), versus a few seconds previously. Same for Mail. There also seems to be intense CPU usage at times. And the kicker is that my airconditioning is on the fritz, so it's probably 85+ degrees in my study (that's cool compared to outdoors).

I rebooted a couple of times, ran MacJanitor, and fixed disk permissions after updating all of my software, but the slowness remains.

I'm wondering if it's a heat problem, but I don't think that the iMac has an internal temperature sensor that I can monitor. So what sort of problems will a heat build-up cause? Does the machine simply crash, or could a slow load and run time for an app be a symptom? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I don't think it's a heat problem any longer. The entire system seems to be effected, even from a cold start. Everything is incredibly sluggish.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    did you happen to turn on "calculate all sizes" recently? that slows a lot of sytems down.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    After about two hours of testing I discovered that one of my memory chips had gone bad. Fortunately it was the one in the user slot. Stupid Ramjet RAM. Off to Crucial. In the meantime, before I realized what was happening, the bad RAM corrupted my Address Book entries when I synced them. Having removed the bad RAM, everything seems to be back to normal.