Mactheripper Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Im new to burning dvds and from what I have read on these forums, mactheripper is a good program for all my ripping needs. However, I have run into some little problems that probably have simple answers. When I ripped a movie, mactheripper made a folder with the dvd contents instead of a .dmg or something like it that usually shows up when you use Disk Utility to rip disks. How do you burn this folder so that the new dvd will act like a dvd movie or did I do something wrong? The other problem I came across is that the contents that were ripped were ~7GB in size while a dvd is only ~4GB. Is there another program I need to compress the size of the folder? If so, what steps should I follow to make a copy of a dvd once the contents have been compressed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Onlyafterdark

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    My favorite software titles are DVD2One (shrink it) and Toast Titanium (burn it).

Between macatheripper and those two, it meets all your time shifting and backing up needs
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

My favorite software titles are DVD2One (shrink it) and Toast Titanium (burn it).

Between macatheripper and those two, it meets all your time shifting and backing up needs

Thanks for the info.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dr deepdr deep Posts: 63member
    Try DVDBackup ( decrypts ) then DVD2oneX (rips necessary files) then burn it with toast 6 titanium. When using Toast make sure you select data then click advanced and click on DVD-ROM (UDF) mode. Then drag you folder with the DVD name and VIDEO_TS folder you want into the window. Be sure to check the contents of each folder has no .DS_Store files in it ( in the toast window ).

If you leave these in you will not be able to play your new pirate disc in set top players.

Happy Ripping. and Remember you are breaking the law. Ha Ha.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr Deep

Try DVDBackup ( decrypts ) then DVD2oneX (rips necessary files) then burn it with toast 6 titanium. When using Toast make sure you select data then click advanced and click on DVD-ROM (UDF) mode. Then drag you folder with the DVD name and VIDEO_TS folder you want into the window. Be sure to check the contents of each folder has no .DS_Store files in it ( in the toast window ).

If you leave these in you will not be able to play your new pirate disc in set top players.

Happy Ripping. and Remember you are breaking the law. Ha Ha.

try handbrake. it rips and encodes all in one and its free and also gives you better audio sync and a smaller file size. Why pay for somethng that is illegal anyways?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

try handbrake. it rips and encodes all in one and its free and also gives you better audio sync and a smaller file size. Why pay for somethng that is illegal anyways?

It's not illegal, I just use it for making off-site backups of my friends' DVD movies.

• Reply 6 of 7
    Thanks for the help guys.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

Better audio sync than what?

handbrake compresses DVDs into divx or xvid files. Very few set top dvd players support these formats.

Stick with DVD2OneX, DVD backup and Toast.

Use handbrake if you want to compress DVDs to be watched from your HDD if you are travelling and don't want to carry your DVD library with you (assuming you have a portable).