D-Link DWL-122?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I couldn't find a thread here about it, so does anyone have any experience with D-Link's W-LAN USB adapter, or with a similar product from other companies? I'm trying to use my iBook with a little less wiring needed, and Apple's AirPorts cards seem way overpriced; also, my iBook doesn't have an AirPort Extreme slot, so whether I go for D-Link's (11 MBit) adapter or Apple AirPort, I wouldn't have 802.11g either way. Unless, of course, there *is* a USB solution to 802.11g with a driver for Mac OS X - but I couldn't find any.

Any help highly appreciated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I can't speak to the D-Link adapter, but a buddy got a Belkin USB adapter and it wouldn't work. I don't think that OSX support networking over USB out of the box so specific drivers need to be written. I'm not sure if D-Link has Mac drivers.

EDIT: The Apple Store online has refurbished AirPort cards are $59. That might be the best option.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    i used it on my iMac and got kernal panics and freezes. so i got rid of it.

it won't work on a hub (powered or otherwise) either, (my bluetooth from D-Link does) and plugging in directly to the iMac (400mz) was a pain as it's kind fat and takes up the room from the other plug, making it tough to use the other usb.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I'm not sure if D-Link has Mac drivers.

The DWL-122 does, but there's apparently conflicting reports on their quality...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I couldn't find a thread here about it, so does anyone have any experience with D-Link's W-LAN USB adapter, or with a similar product from other companies? I'm trying to use my iBook with a little less wiring needed, and Apple's AirPorts cards seem way overpriced; also, my iBook doesn't have an AirPort Extreme slot, so whether I go for D-Link's (11 MBit) adapter or Apple AirPort, I wouldn't have 802.11g either way. Unless, of course, there *is* a USB solution to 802.11g with a driver for Mac OS X - but I couldn't find any.

Any help highly appreciated

so - what, we can assume the onboard Ethernet is definitely dead?

USB-ethernet is an ugly hack at best.

regular old AirPort is all you need, unless of course you are doing lots of file copying (every day) between the iBook and another Mac on your network.

Go with the cheap and refurbished AirPort card. having B instead of G is really no big deal, G is overhyped anyway.