Spain pulling out

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Spain is pulling troops

ANy thoughts?

I think that it is a bad move on their part. I think that it legitimizes terrorism: "they bombed us so we are leaving . . . . = bombing works, do more of it terrorists"

Perhaps if they waited or became more than mere plaers by actually striving hard to take a leading role in getting teh UN involved

. . . But this is not a good move

I am open to other interpretations . . . let me know what you think.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i guess my thoughts are slightly different...

i thought that well before the bombing, about 90% of the spanish people didn't want their troops in iraq and that the government sent troops against the will of the people...that often loses you your job...

also, after the bombing the spanish government tried to blame a spanish group instead of bin laden's group, even after they had hard evidence pointing to them...

"the people" don't like it when you go against their wishes, they hate it when you lie to them

a thousand troops won't make much of a difference, but their being pulled symbolically hurts bushie

g
  • Reply 2 of 30
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    terror works
  • Reply 3 of 30
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    {war in iraq}!={WOT}

Spain has vowed to continue fighting the WOT; however Spain also sees folly in fighting in Iraq.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The Russians pulled their troops out last week as well, and they've been fighting a war on terror (Chechnya) longer than the US has.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Moqtada Sadr has just instructed his militia not to attack Spanish troops as they prepare for withdrawal.

This article was up on Yahoo for about 5 minutes this morning.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...1512&ncid=1473

Now Spain can concentrate on fighting terrorism, instead of inciting it.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

i thought that well before the bombing, about 90% of the spanish people didn't want their troops in iraq and that the government sent troops against the will of the people...that often loses you your job...

also, after the bombing the spanish government tried to blame a spanish group instead of bin laden's group, even after they had hard evidence pointing to them...

"the people" don't like it when you go against their wishes, they hate it when you lie to them

a thousand troops won't make much of a difference, but their being pulled symbolically hurts bushie

That's exactly what happened.

Don't forget how brave the Spanish were in taking to the streets after the bombings in defiance of the terrorists whilst not knowing if their lives were at risk. Not to mention how they massively went out to vote(77% turnout)after a few days,again not knowing if their lives were at risk.

Of course, talking about "terror" all the time seems to be enough to turn Americans into sheep. See 4 posts above.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    shit, I didn't get to vote.

I would have voted for the PP though.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    They should have used a condom. How are they going to explain this to Portgual's dad?
  • Reply 9 of 30
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

terror works

Good thing your dishonesty doesn't.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

g

So you agree but you also think that the percentage of Spaniards against the war trumpts all other options?!

I can see that, but, it should have had effect before the war . . . if their right-wing Government hadn't been such patsies :grr:

I can't help but see that it really will bolster terrorism: it really is like saying "ouch, ok you win"

I thnk that the way that Scott put it has some merit: its as if they are allowing terrorism to get the upper hand.

I knnow that it is more complicated than that, as are all real matters, but this is disturbing . . . I expect to see Australian and Italian and maybe even Polish terririst actions stepped up soon.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Newsflash!

Spain caves in to terrorism.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Moqtada Sadr has just instructed his militia not to attack Spanish troops as they prepare for withdrawal.

Nice gesture. Guys in tan fatigues and helmets all tend to look pretty similar though.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Newsflash!

Spain caves in to terrorism.

You know, such ignorant posts don't even deserve a reply. Oh, wait....nevermind.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Nice gesture. Guys in tan fatigues and helmets all tend to look pretty similar though.

Yeah, but I think the Spanish "work" around a certain defined area...
  • Reply 15 of 30
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
  • Reply 16 of 30
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

So you agree but you also think that the percentage of Spaniards against the war trumpts all other options?!

I can see that, but, it should have had effect before the war . . . if their right-wing Government hadn't been such patsies :grr:

I can't help but see that it really will bolster terrorism: it really is like saying "ouch, ok you win"

I thnk that the way that Scott put it has some merit: its as if they are allowing terrorism to get the upper hand.

I knnow that it is more complicated than that, as are all real matters, but this is disturbing . . . I expect to see Australian and Italian and maybe even Polish terririst actions stepped up soon.

I guess I don't read enough "news" because Spain's reaction surprised me. I thought after everything Spain had been through in the last 100 years--as well as it's long history of conflict with the "Moors" that it would basically give Iraq the finger.

Boy was I wrong.

But I still think pulling out was the wrong thing to do. The last thing you do when a child throws a temper tantrum is give in. If you do, there is no going back. Next time someone wants Spain to cave on something, guess what will happen. Regardless of whether or not the population "supported" the war in Iraq, pulling out was the last thing that she should have done. More will follow. Maybe not immediately, but eventually.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

They should have used a condom. How are they going to explain this to Portgual's dad?

You took my line only replace portgual with Iraq, and take out dad and add something about Iraq being pregnant.....you line stealing whore!!
  • Reply 18 of 30
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fangorn

But I still think pulling out was the wrong thing to do. The last thing you do when a child throws a temper tantrum is give in.

They didn't give in. The party that won the election was prepared to pull out of Iraq regardless.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    could someone explain to me how despite consistant evidence, testimonies, (and often repeating by AO folks), that we are still associating the war on terror with the war in Iraq, and claiming Spain's move supports terrorism? Maybe it goes back to that some people refuse to change their mind about anything; I don't know, but it is certainly strange.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    So every time a terrorist strikes the world is obliged to dance to the America's tune or the "terrorists win"?

How about continuing to make rational decisions based on enlightened self interest?

Seems to me that has less to do with capitulating to terrorism than being stampeded into a cycle of violence and reprisal, which really is what terrorists thrive on.