15" or 17" Powerbook?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am having a very hard time choosing which one to buy. They both have advantages over eachother so here are the specs of each machine.

15" superdrive(degraded to combodrive)

1gb ram(2x512)

80gb 5400rpm drive

combodrive

1.5GHz G4

128mb 9700 mobility

backlit keyboard

17" superdrive

1x512mb ram

80gb 5400rpm drive

superdrive

1.5GHz G4

128mb 9700 mobility

backlit keyboard

They are within 50 dollars of eachother so it's very hard to choose.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Will this be your prime machine? If yes and you won't be attaching it to an external monitor then you might like the larger screen. When I had just a PowerBook and no tower or external monitor the choice between a 15" PowerBook and 12" iBook (at the time) was easy: I needed the bigger screen.

But the other question you have to ask yourself is how much portable use your portable is going to get. The 17" machine is bigger, and thus more awkward to move about. Mind you, the 17" does have a certain lust factor

EDIT: I just noticed your sig. Is that actually your current set-up? If so, I say go for the more mobile of the two options: the 15" unless you have some desperate need for as much screen real estate as you can get.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Go for the 17", add a 512 MB RAM stick yourself for about $120, and don't look back!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    17. defenately. you can never upgrade the display. you can always buy more ram -- ram is cheap. as far as portibility, the 17 is a little bigger but you are talking about a few net inches and a pound or so. get a nice bag, and you wont notice any difference.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    The machine in my signature is the current but it is not mine. I will have it for a couple of months until I get my own mac which will be a powerbook.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    So the 17" is the way to go then?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by zodiac

So the 17" is the way to go then?

yes. defenately.