Folder icons in Sidebar won't stay

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently came across a strange problem. I keep my downloads folder in the Finder sidebar and I noticed that it had lost its custom icon. It was just showing a generic icon. Then I went to check the original folder to put the icon back, but the folder still had the icon. I removed the folder from the sidebar and put it back. The custom icon was there for about half of a second and then dissappeared again. I then tried making a new downloads folder and putting it in the sidebar. It kept its icon until I put something in it. After some testing I found out that no matter what the folder's name was, what the icon was, what the file I was moving was and whether I was moving it into or out of the folder didn't matter. Every time, the custom icon turned into a generic folder icon. If anyone knows why this is or how to fix it, please post. This problem is getting a bit annoying.

-Alfred

Update:

After some more testing, I found that once a folder icon stopped working, any folder put into the sidebar with the same name would not work unless the original folder was still in the sidebar. I also found that as hard as I tried, I could not get some folders to stop working. This is starting to look more and more like a cache problem. Also, more thorough search of google revealed the possible solution of removing com.apple.sidebar.plist from the preferences folder, but this didn't help. I probably need to remove some cache or preference file. Does anyone know of a good cache cleaning program. (preferably free)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I tried Cache Out X and it didn't help.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    send this information over to the os X feedback on apple's os x site...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I've had this same problem once. I removed the folder from the sidebar and put it back and it's been fine since then. Weird.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    The folder still looses its icon after taking it out of the sidebar and putting it back in. Sometimes the icon comes back after a restart but it goes away after I change anything in the Downloads folder.